Boot failure after bios upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded my bios driver. My pc went to restart and came up with this roughly "disk boot failure, install system disk". I tried to use my recovery disks, but after the restart I get the same boot failure message. I reset the bios through the setup menu to the default settings and still got the error message. Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

Can you see the hard drive in the bios set up screen? Make sure the boot drive is properly set

HOW to FLASH/ UPDATE BIOS
by Tedster

Flashing a BIOS simply means updating the BIOS. The rule of thumb with updating BIOS is "if it ain't broke - don't fix it." This is because if a BIOS update is incorrect or not done right, you essentially have an expensive paperweight. BIOS stands for Basic Input Operating System. It is a program "burned" into an EPROM - an Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory chip on your motherboard. The EPROM is a computer chip which contains simple instructions required for the most basic of computing functions - it tells your motherboard how to boot, self-checking functions, and hardware default settings among other things. Motherboards may vary slightly in updating procedures, but not by a whole lot. Generally, you will be using a floppy drive. Yes- remember that old floppy drive? (A real floppy - not a USB type.) You're gonna need one. While BIOS flashing can be done with CD ROMs on some newer motherboards, this is not recommended. This is because BIOS updating works at the core level of computing functions. ALL Intel based computers (this includes AMD) have the ancient 8088 microprocessor architecture at their very inner core in order to perform BIOS functions. Whether the chip is dual-core, AMD, 486, Pentium-D, Athlon XP, 64, etc... it does not matter... at their most inner recess, they have this function. What you are attempting to do is essentially a "brain-swap." BIOS updating SHOULD ONLY BE DONE if their is an issue with your CPU or if a motherboard has difficulty with hardware and it is a known BIOS issue. Check your motherboard manufactuer to see if you need one.
BIOS updating is a methodical, precise and slow procedure. If you do not have patience or you are unsure what you are attempting to do, then DO NOT do it yourself.

How to obtain a BIOS update
First, you would need to find out the make and model of your main board (motherboard). The next step would be to visit the manufacturer's web site and try to find a page that has something to do with downloading, motherboards, support, or anything that will inevitably lead you to a BIOS update (if available).
Once you have downloaded the correct BIOS file for your main board, view any specific instructions about flashing the BIOS. This is usually contained in the downloaded archive, or online the manufacturer's site.
Backup the BIOS first!
Before you update, ALWAYS back up your old BIOS first. Most BIOS programs will ask you to save a copy of the current BIOS. Always save it in case your flash fails, you can attempt to re-flash using the old BIOS while your computer is still turned on. Once you turn off your computer with a failed flash, you're jacked - time for a new motherboard.
Begin by creating a windows bootable floppy disk. Then save your old BIOS onto that floppy. Make a note of the old file name. Use a fresh floppy disk. Old floppies laying around have a high failure rate and you don't want one to fail when updating. Murphey's law baby! Also ensure you have good, clean power - prefably have your system on an Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS). Any power failure will also the flash to fail.
If this happens, attempt to reload the old BIOS *before* you turn off your computer. If the computer is powered down after a failed flash (due to power outage / hardware failure / corrupt BIOS*), there is a good chance your computer may never boot again -- at least, until it is repaired by the manufacturer.
Upload the New BIOS
After you have obtained the new BIOS file, SAVE it to the bootable floppy disk you created. Note the NEW file name.
Now boot the computer with the bootable floppy. Run the DOS file that loads the new file. It will ask you for the name of the new BIOS. Enter that name. You may have to do this as a command at the DOS prompt. Programs vary. Again check the manufactuer's instructions.
Typically, BIOS flashers only work under DOS and generally work like this:
DOSprompt:\> biosflasher.exe biosfilename.xxx
For example:
A:\>biosflash.exe NEWBIOS.dat
NOW BE PATIENT. This can take a minute or two. Ensure it completes. DO NOT POWER off the computer until it says complete or it is done. Once everything is complete, then you can reboot the system without the floppy. Cross fingers and everything should come up ok. You may have to also update other drivers and software as necessary. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back