Boot from CD problem

Ericpcfool

Hey I've decided to format my pc....... It almost takes an hour to load windows and the slightest mouse movement makes it freeze,so I think it's beyond fixing now.

So the problem I'm getting is .... I have my win7 cd inserted in the drive .... I have the first second and third boot devices in bios set to cd rom ...when the pc starts I get this message " boot from cd/DVD : " (not sure if I'm meant to do anything when this appears but I've tried pushing random keyboard keys and y) doesn't mater what I do windows loads normally.

I've also tried selecting boot from cd from the gigabyte mobo boot menu,Still windows loads normally.

Any help would be appreciated .... I'm at wits end and I'm about to solve this problem with my own boot.

Make sure you set the cdrom to boot first in the bios. Set your hard drive as 2nd boot. 3rd to what ever else you have installed. If you have two cd roms make sure you disconnect one, sometimes windows will not boot from the cdrom if two cdroms are attached . After you have change the boot orders. in the bios . Restart the computer with your windows disk in the cdrom. When it ask you to if you want to boot from cd/dvd. Hit the enter key. Hope this helps if not post back here.

Hey thx for the reply... I've set bios like you suggested and restarted pc... When "boot from cd/DVD came up ... I pushed enter ...I'm then given the option to boot a OS either win7 or win memory diagnostic tool... I ran the diagnostic tool ...after it finished windows started normally again :( still no boot from cd.

On the motherboards boot menu, did you leave this to boot from cd if not reset it there, Also if in your bios if there is a boot from other devices. Disable that.Try this and see if it will boot the cd.

In the mobo boot menu HDD is selected ... If I try to select cd/DVD it closes and loads windows ..... No idea why.

Still no luck:(

ok lets try a cold boot, See if this will let the cd boot. put the cd in the cdrom. Shut the computer down. Wait about five mins. Then start the computer back up, When the ask if you want to boot from cd/dv rom push enter again. This may boot the cd. Lets hope. Did you build this computer. If so was there any problems the frist time you installed windows, or anything you can remember you had to do to boot the cd for install of windows. Because I am running out of ideals

Yea I did build this pc about 2 years ago I think ... And back then had no problems installing windows. Gonna give it 5 mins and try that cold start .... I'll edit in and let you know how it went. I really appreciate your help btw :)

Still no luck with the cold boot ....ahhh well I'll keep googling and see if I can come up with something ... Thx for your help.

Are you using a usb keyboard. If you have a old PS2 key board . If so try that. Some times the computer will not get the key strokes from a usb key board . Well that is about my last ideal. If you don't find anything Tmagic may have a few other tricks that will help you out. Sorry I could not get it up and running for you. GoodLuck and you are welcome.
Good job I forgot about using a usb stick . I am glad to here you got it up and running.

Yea tried a ps2 key board ...to no avail .......

I've also tried to boot windows from USB ... And this fails also ..... USB light comes on ..then just starts windows again ... Sigh!

SOLVED ! Finally able to get the USB stick to boot. For anyone having a problem installing windows with gigabyte mobo using a USB drive......... The first boot device needs to be set as Hard drive not USB HDD secondly you need to set the hard drive to the specific USB brand your using in the hard drive menu,located directly above the first boot device menu.

Back