Boot.ini for dual XP/2000 boot

By puchicas
Feb 9, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does anyone have a printout of the boot.ini file as set up in a dual boot with 2000/XP configuration?
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Perhaps you could describe the problem, along with a post on your brand and model of computer or motherboard, and configuration.. A print out will be very long, if available.

On a dual boot, you must start with an XP install, then add the W2K... you cannot easily do the reverse, booting to a Windows 2000 that was installed first.
  3. puchicas

puchicas Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Boot.ini for dual boot

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the sequence to install 2000 then XP and on different volumes. What I am trying to do is to circumvent the installs. I have 2000 on one hard disk and XP on the other. Individually they work great, I need to swap HD's if I want to change the OS. I was hoping to come up with one boot.ini configured to manage the startup, and direct the boot to either the 2000 or the XP drive that I need at the moment, just like if I had actually run a clean new install of each OS. Is this possible?
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

Here is an example. You may need to modify it, some information on what the numbers mean go here: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"
  5. puchicas

puchicas Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.