TechSpot

Boot.ini for dual XP/2000 boot

By puchicas
Feb 9, 2009
  1. Does anyone have a printout of the boot.ini file as set up in a dual boot with 2000/XP configuration?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Perhaps you could describe the problem, along with a post on your brand and model of computer or motherboard, and configuration.. A print out will be very long, if available.

On a dual boot, you must start with an XP install, then add the W2K... you cannot easily do the reverse, booting to a Windows 2000 that was installed first.

3. puchicas

puchicas TS Rookie Topic Starter

Boot.ini for dual boot

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the sequence to install 2000 then XP and on different volumes. What I am trying to do is to circumvent the installs. I have 2000 on one hard disk and XP on the other. Individually they work great, I need to swap HD's if I want to change the OS. I was hoping to come up with one boot.ini configured to manage the startup, and direct the boot to either the 2000 or the XP drive that I need at the moment, just like if I had actually run a clean new install of each OS. Is this possible?

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Here is an example. You may need to modify it, some information on what the numbers mean go here: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

5. puchicas

puchicas TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.