Boot Issue (MBR?) with Vista 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hypnosan

As the title implies I'm having issues with booting my notebook running Vista 64bit. I believe the issue may be a result of my uninstalling SUSE yet leaving the boot loader associated with it. After uninstalling SUSE, which was being used in a dual boot with Vista, the boot loader associated with SUSE (Lilo) was still prompting me at each boot to select the OS, I just had not got around to getting rid of that. Upon trying to boot the notebook today the system halts shortly after the post before hitting the Lilo screen and displaying L 99 99 99 99 99 99, with the 99 repeating over half the screen followed by a blinking cursor.

Now I'm assuming this is due to some sort of a corruption with the MBR as a hard disk scan utility within the BIOS shows no issues. I am, however, unfamiliar with Vista's booting mechanics and I'm unsure how to go about creating a boot CD and reparing the MBR. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer with this.

NOTE: It bears mentioning that being a newer notebook this PC does not have a floppy disk drive.

Do you at least have the Windows Vista installation CD ? It should allow you to boot off it & do a MBR repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back