TechSpot

Boot loop after adware removal

By Sarda88
Sep 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all
    Last night, I did a routine scan of my computer, it wasn't showing any problems but I try to scan weekly just to keep an eye on it, and it found some adware. Didn't seem to be a problem, used Super Anti Spyware, and it removed them without issue (supposedly) but when I tried to shut down, the computer froze. I turned the power off then back on to try and shut it down properly, but when it asked if I wanted to go into safe mode, safe mode with networking, or start windows normally, I chose "start windows normally". It got to the Windows Loading Screen, then it flashed a blue screen for a split second, far too fast for me to read, and then started over again, and it repeats the process no matter what option I choose. I've tried safemode, normal, and "last known good configuration", and nothing will run.
    I'm a digital artist, I have several works in progress saved on this computer, hours upon hours of work, I do NOT want to reformat.
    Also, please don't give me any solutions that involve getting into the system like "System Settings, turn off auto-restart" or anything, because I can't get into the computer, it won't even go to the logon screen.

I'm running Windows XP Professional, and I do have the disk.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,167   +37

A Windows repair may be in order here but if you want to first access your very important information in order to save it to DVD, etc. I suggest you "slave" your harddrive into another system and access your harddrive through this system.

SAS is a very good product and I am wondering if you have a deep infection somewhere.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.