Boot menu showing when it shouldn't

DYZFa.png

My computer and my dad's computer are both set like the above. Yet his computer is showing the boot menu when starting up, which only has Windows 7 on it. I used Easy BCD to rewrite the MBR, but that didn't make a difference. My computer doesn't show any boot menu.
In addition to this issue, before the boot menu comes up, he gets a black screen with a DOS cursor blinking in the upper left corner. This screen will only go away if a key is pressed. So far I've seen that Shift and Space work. Letters didn't, odd, right?
Anyway, yet still, another addition to this mystery, is when going to an Explorer window, say Computer for example, the address bar goes wonky. I've seen this on my grandma's computer before and it was caused by sticky keys. This keyboard is new though, so it doesn't have sticky keys yet. Pushing Shift also stops this from happening.

Does anyone here have any ideas to what's caused these issues? I suspect they aren't linked to each other, but I'm not sure.

Turn the "quick boot" option off and see if the boot menu is affected at all

I sat through the long memory test, haha. And after seeing all the cool screens I used to see in the old days before Quick Boot was around (err, maybe that was because I disabled the logo screen actually.. because it was doing the memory test and I couldn't see anything X3 ), it did the same thing. This time I waited just a bit to see if it'd go away by itself, but I had to hit a key. A letter key worked, haha. It did skip the boot menu though. But yeah, that mysterious black screen with the cursor still shows up.

Edit: I disabled those 2 changes and tried booting again. Weather I wait a bit and push a key or do it asap, it's skipping the boot menu now. Which is a good thing. Booting your computer and not being able to walk away and have it boot up is not though. Would Win 7 Service Pack 1 have anything to do with a problem like this?

Back