TechSpot

Boot ok then epic lag and RAM usage for over 1h

By DjKraid
Aug 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!

So I have this little problem with my work computer, it boots just fine but when I log in it begins to use s__t loads of ram and I can't even see what is using up all the ram. (scr shot of tskmgr attached)
    It laggs for ~1h and then suddenly it goes "back to normal" and there is no changes on the tskmgr processes list...

Can anyone help me to get a normal boot?

The computer is not very new...it has:

- some random MSI mobo
    - 512Mb ram
    - AMD Athlon 1700+
    WinXP Pro (fresh install)
    dxdiag attached

Attached Files:

2. Clinkzehffs

Clinkzehffs TS Rookie Posts: 75

Did you try memtest? You can either try that or using a different stick of ram, if it still does the same problem, try using a different harddisk.

3. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 536   +21

Yep I ran a memtest using a ubuntu 10.04 live cd. I have cleaned the registry and cleaned the temps and stuff like that using ccleaner. I have done a chkdsk (with all 5 steps) at "boot". defragged and done scans and so on... :/

4. Clinkzehffs

Clinkzehffs TS Rookie Posts: 75

I thought wuauclt.exe ran under the %Username% (in this case Admin), not System, and I never saw it going up to 50.000k++, can you check if its infected or anything?

5. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 536   +21

it shouldn't be infected, the system is recently installed. I have checked all the drivers and everything that I can think of...