BOOT problems with winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a long story to read, but please, i really need some help, the damn laptop costed me over 1800€...

I had some problems with my laptop, so i said, its time that i format the HDD.

I ran the entire proces with the original recovery DVD from my laptop, wich made it possible to recover the pre-installed windows in 3 languages.

After completing all the steps (format, install, settings, etc) windows worked fine.
I installed some patches from the official Toshiba site, including a BIOS update (also official)

When i was installing all the necesary updates, my pc blacked out, nothing worked, so i turned it down.

When i tried to reboot, i got the screen from XP with the blue progress bar so i tought, everything is fine.

I waited 10, 20, 30 even 50 minutes, but still i kept seeing the d*mn screen with the progress bar (the bar was moving, so it didnt crash).

I said to myself, time to re-format, so i did this. So i did this again.
I formatted the drive, installed WinXP and rebooted so i could run XP, but it took such a long time before i could adjust the setting necesary before accesing windows itsself (time, computername, admin password,...) and when it was registering the components in the register, i got a fatal error from setup.exe

I did all the previous steps again, format and so on, but now when i boot, time passes, but still no windows, i even left it running for 5h but still the damn blue-progress-bar-screen.
After the five hours i got a flash of a blue screen (the blue death screen?) and still no windows, no its gives me the blue-progress-bar-screen for over 7h and still no windows...

What do you guys suggest me to do?
If you have an answer, solution or anything that might help, please mail: bartjeh@spymac.com or you can allways catch me on MSN: bartjeh@spymac.com

b.art
(+ i have no diskette station, so i cant use any boot disks, i can boot from a cd and thats all...)

Welcome to Techspot.
You might want to give the DVD install disk a real good cleaning , it may be scratched etc.It is the best way to put a Portable back together.
Or try your installation again ,but this time after creating and formatting Partitions ,copy the dvd to any Partition except C:\ and then install from there. You can get a friend to create a Win 98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com these files can be burned to bootable CD/DVD this you can use to copy the files.
If the DVD doesn appear damaged/dirty You may be looking at some hardware failure and probably a trip to Toshiba. I hope you are under warranty in this case.
Let us know your progress.

Liquidlen said:
Welcome to Techspot.
You might want to give the DVD install disk a real good cleaning , it may be scratched etc.It is the best way to put a Portable back together.
Or try your installation again ,but this time after creating and formatting Partitions ,copy the dvd to any Partition except C:\ and then install from there. You can get a friend to create a Win 98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com these files can be burned to bootable CD/DVD this you can use to copy the files.
If the DVD doesn appear damaged/dirty You may be looking at some hardware failure and probably a trip to Toshiba. I hope you are under warranty in this case.
Let us know your progress.

Im thinking of sending my pc to Toshiba, the only problem is, this will take about 2 months to get my computer back, luckily i am still in my warranty period...
thanks for the help

b.art

I would send it to Toshiba, there does seem to be a problem with HD, if the CD is clean with no scratches, you can also try a regular XP CD to load, if it still does the same, send it back to Toshiba, I think they have better turn around than 2 months, I would check for a cross shipment on it if possible, they might get your credit card info to do that, then it would be at your choice of shipping.

GOOD LUCK!!

I wouldn't be too hasty in sending it back, try another disk my guess is the cd your using is damaged .I had the same issue and I couldn't see any noticable damage on the cd but like your laptop it just froze for hours on the progress bar. I tried an orignal XP disk and it worked fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back