Boot Up Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having the current problem:

When I try to start up my PC all the fans and drives start up, but my PC does not boot up and the monitor stays black. I noticed when I turn off my PSU and turn it back on the green light on my motherboard lights up, but as soon as I press the power button it turns off. I have taken out all of my RAM, disconnected my hard drives and other drives, and taken out my AGP and PCI cards. I get the same problem as mentioned before. The green light on the motherboard turns on but as soon as I press the power button, it turns off. There are no beeps coming from the motherboard. Could this be an indicator of a bad PSU?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

My first guess would be the same as yours. PSU is likely the problem here.

Take a look at the capacitors of your motherboard, are any of them swollen or leaking?

Do you by chance have another PSU to test? If not, the good news is that you can get high quality PSUs for pretty cheap these days.

Alright, well I left my PSU on and took a break. When I came back and pressed the power button it turned on and the motherboard light stayed on. I also got a long continuous beep from the motherboard. I guess I'll start to add components back into my computer to see if I can get the same effect. Don't know what this means...

Well I put in the RAM and the hard drives and it worked no problem. I put in my video card, a 6800 GT, which takes a lead from the PSU and now the motherboard light turns off when I press the power button. Does that mean that the PSU is being overloaded?

If this system has been running fine until now with the same PSU, then the PSU may be going bad. and I would not keep messing with it. if it fails it could take out your CPU, ram, video card and mobo.

Can anyone tell me what exactly the green light on the motherboard represents, and why the computer doesn't start when it is not lit?

Every motherboard is different, and your manual SHOULD tell you what those lights mean.

Typically, the green light on a motherboard means it means it is getting power and ready to try and boot up.

I put everything back into my case and once again the motherboard light turned off when I pressed the power button. My question is, why would the PSU be bad if all the fans, dvd drives, video card fans, and hard drives are turned on and running? It doesn't make any sense to me. Shouldn't that be the motherboard not working then?

if you have a friend that will let you borrow a PSU you cna hook it up to your mobo. if the same problem persists then you know it is not the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back