TechSpot

Booting from USB

By flygamer1
Jul 26, 2013
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I made a bootable USB with windows 7 because I wanna install Windows 7 Ultimate when I get my new gaming computer. Anyway once I was done I wanted to format this computer to see if it works. Anyhow I plugged in the USB and opened the boot menu(F12). I cannot find the USB. What to do?

Attached Files:

2. mike1959

mike1959 TS Addict Posts: 1,060   +20

Hi, If you don't have a USB 'option' as a first-boot device, then you can't do that, not all PC's have it.
    In any case, be careful that you don't use your Win 7 product key on your 'old' pc, with it connected to the 'net' , as it will register it automatically with MS, then you won't be able to install it on your new pc, as the product key will be registered with the old one.
    In other words you can't use your product key on 2 pc's, assuming it's the normal 'home' 1 license type.
  3. flygamer1

flygamer1 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

It's not a legit windows 7, just curious if I will be able to install windows 7 on the new computer I will be getting.
  4. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,234   +232

Its not a legit Windows 7 ? I doubt you'll get anymore help in here in that case.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.