Booting issues, can't even get to POST

Barex

I am pretty sure this issue is being caused by the motherboard but I just want to make sure before i spend the money replacing it. My computer does not boot. The only thing that happens is the fans turn on to full and stay there at full, i get no video and it does not go to post. I have run scans to check for viruses when i was able to get it booted once with luck. I have switched the power supply to see if it was possibly a faulty psu, and still got the same problem. It will not load BIOS or go to POST when i try to power it on, even when cold booting. Any ideas before i spend the money on a new motherboard?

Im running an nVidia 8800 GT manufactured by BFG Tech, Unfortuantely i dont have another machine capable of testing the ram in. but i can hook this one up, to see if the graphics card is the problem.

I intended to edit my first post, but you responded before I could.

I realized after I posted that the RAM is tested after the video card, so it is doubtful that RAM is the cause.

Do what you can to test the video card, such as testing it in another machine or trying a different one.

There is a slight possibility the CPU is the issue, but I'd try a different motherboard first.

Finally, there is a chance resetting the CMOS would help. Locate the Clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard, place the shunt as needed, and turn on the computer. Then restore the shunt to the original position.

I have reset the CMOS already, i forgot to add that into my first post. I have pulled the graphics card out and im about to try to boot it and switch to onboard if i can.

EDIT: Well same thing happened when i tried to boot without the graphics card, fans came on and nothing happened. Had to pull the plug in order to stop everything.

In light of that, a faulty motherboard does seem like the most likely cause. There is a slim chance the problem is with the CPU though.

I suggest you do a bit of research on your warranties before replacing components though. AMD and Intel both offer a 3 year warranty on boxed CPUs, and if you purchased the computer from an OEM, you may be able to contact them.

Personally, if I had to just purchase either a new CPU or a new motherboard, I would go with the motherboard first.

Yeah I agree. It was pre built by HP, and is over 3 years old now so i doubt i have any warranties left. Looks like I am in the market for a new mobo. Thanks for all the help and the timely response =D

You're welcome Barex.

One more thing: try to buy the motherboard from a place that will let you return it if need be. If you order it online, those chances are slim to none.

The local PC shop may be of help to you; take a look around.

Well unfortunately the new mobo had no change to the issue, I am still back to square one I tested a new cpu and no change, a new PSU with no changes and tested each individual RAM stick and still the same issue occurred where I could not even get to POST and all the fans still run high and no display on the screen. What is odd is we hooked up the power switch for chassis how ever any time we power on the PSU the PC instantly powers on without even having to touch the power button if that is even an related issue I am not sure, my mind is addled trying to figure out what is wrong here.

Just to eliminate this as a possibility: did you happen to use the same CMOS battery in the new motherboard?

I will be thinking about your issue throughout the night and tomorrow, until I get an idea or determine I need to contact another guy.

In the meantime, can you try another power outlet? Also, what part of the world are you located in? I'm thinking about the current...

Ok, I have tried the old CMOS battery in the new motherboard, no change. I tried a new power outlet and still no change. I am in Southern California.

Thanks.

I'm about to retire (NY time here), but one last thing: just make double-sure (check your motherboard book) that the motherboard P1 connector, and the case switch wires are in the right places, and securely.

I just got an idea: try disconnecting the case power button wire. It won't hurt anything, but it may help diagnose this issue.

Well after a long time of trying out different things i finally got it to work. My guess is i had the chassis power button cable plugged in incorrectly. Once i got the figured out everything booted up nicely and without errors. Windows got all of the drivers it needed and the computer is running nice and smooth. So again i say Thanks for all your help and lets hope this stays smooth. =)

Back