Booting off ROM?

steelth

I did a clean install and now when i turn it on it seems to be trying to boot off cd . I go to the boot menu and pick harddrive and it boots up but how can i fix it so it just boots up and i don't have to go through the menu everytime?

Sound like your BIOS is set to boot off the optical drive first. To change that, go into the BIOS setting (tap F2 on startup for many machines), and look for something like "Boot Device Priority"

You'll probably notice that the internal CD/DVD drive is listed first, you can change this to have the computer boot off the Hard Drive first.

**Note - If for some reason you need to boot off a CD again after making this change, you'll have to change the priority back to CD/DVD drive first. You can also do a one-time boot off the CD/DVD drive, usually by tapping 'Esc'

When you change the boot order in the boot menu, it is a one-time change. When you change the boot order in the BIOS, it is permanent (until you change it again yourself).

Steelth, has this issue been resolved?

The replies above are correct, change the boot order in the BIOS. The way you are choosing to boot is a "One time boot" option. You have to go into the BIOS settings (F1, F2, Del, F10) can all be buttons to access the BIOS for your motherboard.

When the computer is booting, the first screen you see should display the button you have to press to get into the BIOS.

From there you need to get to the section that has the Boot order. You have to change it so that the Hard drive comes before the CD drive in the list and the issue should be resolved.

Back