TechSpot

Bothersome error message

By ComputerN00b
Jul 1, 2008
  1. Every time I try to open almost any program, from the Speech function, MSN messenger, or even Firefox, I get a message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Now at first I checked and the account I'm using is the computer administrator (duh)

Then I went on to use Sbybot Search and Destroy, to see if it would help, but the same message came up, also when I tried a number of other programs, I had to switch to another account just so I would be able to use Internet Explorer, and have been ever since.

This problem occured while I was removing spyware from my computer, using search and destroy, and one day it was just like this.

If anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks :)

2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 4,048

What Antivirus and firewall are you using

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

You can try doing a System Restore to date right before the problem began. However, know that if spyware was a part of the cause, the restore might not work.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.