TechSpot

Bottleneck

By andy06shake
Jan 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Im upgrading my GFX card to the Evga GTX570. Im holding off upgrading my CPU and board untill Sandybridge arrives. I currently have an E8500 3.1Ghz CPU, 4Gb DDR2 and was wondering if i will experience a bottleneck. Can anyone tell me if this is so? And if so how much?

2. Gamerjock

Gamerjock TS Rookie Posts: 21

Sandybridge is already out, and for the bottleneck the E8500 might be a slight bottleneck, but I'm not entirely sure.

3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

This article does not use a GTX570, but it does compare a bunch of cpu's paired with high end GPU's, so you can see how much of a difference it would make to upgrade:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5870-cpu-scaling_6.html#sect1

The results with a GTX 570 would be somewhere between the the HD 5870 and HD 5870 Crossfire shown in the article. Judging by the graphs, upgrading your cpu would probably make a pretty significant difference.

4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,378   +127

Yes, a good deal.

5. andy06shake

andy06shake TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 328

Im waitn till Sandybridge drops in price a little bit, and im a little more in funds. Just shelled out £300 for this new GTX570 so it will be a few months till i can get a decent new board, CPU and 6Gb off DDR3. As long as the bottle neck is not overwelming and my temps drop a bit ile be ok for a couple of months. My GTX275 gets upto about 95-98c underload so hope this new GTX570 dont go over abot 75c underload.

6. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,378   +127

That's very hot.
    IMO you'll still get better performance than your old card on most games.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.