Bottleneck

andy06shake

Im upgrading my GFX card to the Evga GTX570. Im holding off upgrading my CPU and board untill Sandybridge arrives. I currently have an E8500 3.1Ghz CPU, 4Gb DDR2 and was wondering if i will experience a bottleneck. Can anyone tell me if this is so? And if so how much?

Sandybridge is already out, and for the bottleneck the E8500 might be a slight bottleneck, but I'm not entirely sure.

This article does not use a GTX570, but it does compare a bunch of cpu's paired with high end GPU's, so you can see how much of a difference it would make to upgrade:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5870-cpu-scaling_6.html#sect1

The results with a GTX 570 would be somewhere between the the HD 5870 and HD 5870 Crossfire shown in the article. Judging by the graphs, upgrading your cpu would probably make a pretty significant difference.

Im waitn till Sandybridge drops in price a little bit, and im a little more in funds. Just shelled out £300 for this new GTX570 so it will be a few months till i can get a decent new board, CPU and 6Gb off DDR3. As long as the bottle neck is not overwelming and my temps drop a bit ile be ok for a couple of months. My GTX275 gets upto about 95-98c underload so hope this new GTX570 dont go over abot 75c underload.

Back