Boxee Box drops Tegra 2 for Atom, preorders open

By Matthew
Sep 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. In a last minute decision, Boxee has decided to power its upcoming set-top device with an Intel chip instead of Nvidia's second-generation Tegra SoC. Apparently, the Tegra 2 just couldn't cut it in the lab. "The major problem we had with the Tegra 2 was support for high-profile HD playback," Boxee said. Clarifying further that, while the Tegra 2 is fine for VC-1, it can't handle H.264 -- a widely used codec among video streaming sites.

Read the whole story
  2. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

All I have to say is this is a big Ouch to Nvidia. I thought that they made sure that they could play back 1080p... you would think that hardware acceleration could be worked out in firmware... Wow this really cuts. I though Tegra 1 was more than able to process 1080p so what happened? Looks like they put more into the 3D acceleration in the second gen chip?
  3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 828   +17

Wow that really has to hurt Nvidia bad. Nvidia I don't think does standard CPU's right now so they need every bit of that mobile market they can get.
  4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 990   +90

I'm curious how well the Intel Atom CE4100 SOC performs.
  5. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 TS Rookie Posts: 118

Wow I thought the Tegra 2 was supposed to kick ***. It just seems sad gettin dropped for the atom. no offence