TechSpot

Boxee Box drops Tegra 2 for Atom, preorders open

By Matthew
Sep 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. In a last minute decision, Boxee has decided to power its upcoming set-top device with an Intel chip instead of Nvidia's second-generation Tegra SoC. Apparently, the Tegra 2 just couldn't cut it in the lab. "The major problem we had with the Tegra 2 was support for high-profile HD playback," Boxee said. Clarifying further that, while the Tegra 2 is fine for VC-1, it can't handle H.264 -- a widely used codec among video streaming sites.

Read the whole story

2. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

All I have to say is this is a big Ouch to Nvidia. I thought that they made sure that they could play back 1080p... you would think that hardware acceleration could be worked out in firmware... Wow this really cuts. I though Tegra 1 was more than able to process 1080p so what happened? Looks like they put more into the 3D acceleration in the second gen chip?

3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 849   +11

Wow that really has to hurt Nvidia bad. Nvidia I don't think does standard CPU's right now so they need every bit of that mobile market they can get.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 904   +54

I'm curious how well the Intel Atom CE4100 SOC performs.

5. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 TS Rookie Posts: 118

Wow I thought the Tegra 2 was supposed to kick ***. It just seems sad gettin dropped for the atom. no offence

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.