TechSpot

Boxee unveils dongle to access free broadcast HDTV

By Matthew
Nov 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Although it's increasingly difficult for cable companies to deny the so-called "cord cutting" phenomenon, media conglomerates still have a stranglehold on many subscribers. It's easier than ever to catch your…

Read the whole story

2. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

How was an HD antenna not included in the original setup? Or even built in? Also, don't most modern TVs have the HD antenna built in already? Guess I need to get my learning on about set top boxes.

3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Some TVs lack the coaxial input, so this is nice. Boxee is still too expensive tho... I can build a Windows PC for that price.

4. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

The problem is, you still need an HD antenna. This just a OTA ATSC tuner.

The problem with OTA ATSC signals, is in most areas, the networks have their towers in different locations, so to change from NBC to CBS, you might have to manually re-orient your antenna, if you can get a signal at all with an indoor antenna at all.

For example, in my area, NBC is located somewhere around 321 degrees, but Fox and CBS are located around 160 degrees.

You can input your information to find out here: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +737

(off topic, i know...)
    Anyone know where to get discover/science channel stuff through an online service?

6. Or just skip Boxee altogether and watch broadcast TV.

7. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

that's also antenna dependent. i have two indoor OTA ATSC antennas, and one of them, like you said, will require you to turn the antenna to watch different channels, while the other antenna is good enough to pick up all the channels.

i would definitely look into a better antenna.

8. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Netflix streaming has a nice list of learning channel content, I frequently watch NatGeo, Discovery and History channel shows. Believe they even have some NOVA from PBS.

9. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

It's not my antenna, as it's a high quality indoor omni. The problem is once you get beyond 10-15 miles (best case) from the broadcasting antenna, you need directional antennas or you need an antenna that can reposition itself (like mine can).

A quick read a dbstalk.com will illuminate this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.