TechSpot

Boxopus pushes torrent downloads directly to your Dropbox, skips desktop clients

By Jos
Jun 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new service called Boxopus has come up with an interesting way of bridging the worlds of BitTorrent and cloud storage, offering a way for people to cue up torrent downloads and have them automatically added to their Dropbox folders,…

Read more

2. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

OMG!! I can see it now. The US Govt. is going to point to this service and say ppl are using it to pirate.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,242   +79

This sounds pretty neat

4. yes, of course, just the US government will have a problem with even more anonymous torrenting :p

and this does sound pretty awesome, but I dont see how they'll keep it running without a million legal issues or keep it free

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,674   +59

Thats cool, my ISP puts the hammer down on anyone torrenting anything. There **** is weak and they cant handle all the traffic.They threatened me with cutting my service and fining me. This is a pretty handy little work around.

p.s. its the connecting to multiple peers that slows them down

6. sabrezx

sabrezx TS Rookie

So Dropbox have told them that they can't use their service as it promotes copyright infringement, wonder what the next step is, a name change for a start :( Shame, my isp blocks all torrents which means I have been using newsgroups, this would have been an excellent alternative.

7. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Well there are a lot of legit uses for Torrent files. However almost every person Ive talked with doesnt use Torrent for work product only pirating. I have freinds that PROUDLY tell everyone that they pirate. Or that they havent paid for a movie in years. Its understandable if ISP block Torrent files. Im sure the individual person may only pirate 1 or 2 items, but add that up. 1 or 2 times however many possible suscribers a ISp has and it gets to be a very large number quickly.

8. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.