"Briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible" - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmw

I recently posted on this forum regarding a problem with my RAM on my laptop, which I have subsequently sent for repair.

(See https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=761027#post761027)

And so I came to look at my backups on an external HDD and found that they are stored within 3 separate brief cases (all created on the same system), none of which I am able to access. When I try to open them I receive the error,

“The Briefcase cannot be opened because the disk is inaccessible. Verify that the disk is accessible.”

I know that this is probably caused by the fact that the original location (my broken laptop) is not connected, but if that laptops HDD is wiped while being repaired I don’t know of any way to access my back up files.

I read something on this forum with a very similar problem involving using command prompt and deleting the “Brief Case Index File” or something along those lines, but I didn’t understand the instructions. And so if someone could please help me out and give some detailed, explicit direction I would be so very grateful.

All replies would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

tmw

I have actually managed to solve this problem myself! So I'm all :grinthumb

For anyone else who has the same problem I'm gogin to describe exactly what I did. I dont know if all of the steps are strictly necessary but it wokrd and thats all that matters so here it is.

My brief case files were stored on an extenal HDD and the OS was Vista home basic.

1. Copy the brief case to a new location on the external HDD.
2. Right click on the brief case and change the properties to hidden and when asked apply this to 'all files and subfolders.'
3. Copy the 'hidden' bief case to the desktop on your machine.
4. Create a new folder on the desktop
5. Open the 'hidden' brief case on your desktop and copy the contents to the new folder
6. Under the properties of the contents of the new folder untick the 'hidden' box and your files should be recovered.

I hope this works for other people like it worked for me. I did this on all of my brief cases and it worked each time.

Like I say, I don't know if all the steps are strictly necesary but it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back