TechSpot

British ISPs granted delay in anti-piracy court battle

By Mike
Oct 5, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. A top UK broadband provider has been granted a delay in its fight against releasing users' personal data to copyright groups. British Telecom (BT) sought the adjournment to give the court time to consider the case at hand and render a proper decision. The ISP challenged anti-P2P groups saying that accusations of illegal file sharing needs to have "some basis" and that blindly releasing user data undermines subscriber confidence and causes "unnecessary worry" for British consumers.

Read the whole story
  2. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 802   +8

Can I get an AMEN!?!?! I know some people are against file sharing, and I have no problems with those people, but just like anything else, I think you need some basis for a warrant to have this information released. Just like police can't get a search warrant for a house just because they suspect someone for doing something. They have to have some sort of basis for their accusations. And it should be the same here for our online privacy as well.

I know the arguments...
    ~if you do something ilegal, you should be caught and pay the price
    ~if you weren't doing anything wrong to begin with, why be worried about this at all?

Same ol thing that always pops up. Fact of the matter is, nobody should be able to just walk in to private life without some sort of basis for doing so. Some sort of proof that says "hey, look at this...this looks fishy...can we investigate a little more into this?"
  3. +1 There is a word for a society where the people in charge have comlete control of everything including your private life, so +1 for knocking them bastard leach law firms (the whole spectrum) back a peg or two.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,497   +304

Now I'm Glad to Be with BT :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.