Broadband connection for pc and laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

learner1

HI ALL

I have a pc and have just purchased a laptop.
Can you advise the best way to manage broadband on both.
without going for the dearer wireless connection.

I would like the one broadband connection for both and thus pay for the one connection
i have eircom broadband 2mb.

I thought I could plug out the broadband and in to the laptop[. I tried and cannot do this without transfering the account to the laptop.

I have searched the techspots archive but am still confused.

I believe that you can join the two (pc and laptop) using a dedicated usb cable.
even with this i am lost.

If i join the two computers with the usb cable will only one machine have contact with the Internet at any one time.

Is it possible to have Internet on both machines at once.

Any help would be welcomed.

best regards

learner1

Most Eircom routers have not only wireless, but also a 4-port switch built in. Call Eircom to swap yours if you got the single channel USB/RJ45 version.
Go to www.adverts.ie and pick up an Eircom router there for cheap in the For Sale section. They pop up almost on a daily base.

Buy your own router, don't pay rent on theirs, and get a good 4-port unit with a wireless antenna for later.
The Actiontecs are reliable. Many other available, but avoid Siemens, SpeedStream, or DLink.

Thanks

thks again to all for your advise. will act on it and return with how i get on.

thks,

learner1

Thks to all and applause for Eircom

Thks to all who replied to my recent.

All I had to do was contact eircom and they talked me through it. because i had netopia router i did not need any extra hardware. It did not cost any thing extra. so i was able to connect my laptop to the internet free of charge.

i had a little trouble with conflicting ips' but eircom sorted that.

so hear hear for Eircom. I seem to be the only one that is happy with their service,

best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back