Broadband internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mather

I have been looking to upgrade to 2mb/s or higher and am currently on 1mb/s

Looking at some sites apparently im only set up for 1meg connections. Any techs out there who know how it can be upgraded?

Are you talking about upgrading your network hardware or the changing service provider you use?

well at the mo i am with BT and have got a voyager 2100 router and 3 wireless network cards all working fine. I am paying £30 a month for 1meg internet and wanted to upgrade to maybe a different provider that will give me faster internet at a cheaper price.

On some websites i have looked at i typed in my phonenumber and it told me that teh maximum speed i could get was only 1mb/s. I was wondering if i could get more than that somehow but don't no why its limited to 1mb/s.

If that's all that is offered in your area, then that's all you can get. Have you tried calling service providers in your area to see what they offer.

well that sucks

ill have a go at ringin people when i get home!

other people have faster internet i think so i must be able to get 2 meg at least

I guess call Comcast or Bellsouth, they both offer speeds WAY higher than 1Mbps.

I use standard Comcast High-Speed, get around 6Mbps. But it might not be available in your area :suspiciou

There are several High-Speed providers, look around, see what your friends have, find one that's good for you, but still inexpensive enough to be worth the speed.

I guess with BT, you're running on DSL over the phone lines. If possible,
look for a cable provider, I get great thruput, sometimes 4mb+

Yeh run DSL through the phoneline. Would that mean to get a higher speed i would have to get some new hard ware of have some technician come round to set it up?

John Mather said:
Yeh run DSL through the phoneline. Would that mean to get a higher speed i would have to get some new hard ware of have some technician come round to set it up?

well you just have to pay for the hard wares, but that depends if you already have existing and available coaxial cable, use it for your DSL... Both DSL and Cable have high speed...

No you dont have to get technician to set it up, you can do it yourself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back