TechSpot

Broadwell, Skylake desktop CPUs scheduled to arrive mid-year, leaked roadmap reveals

By Shawn Knight
Jan 30, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Those looking to upgrade or build a new system using Intel's upcoming unlocked Broadwell desktop processor won't have to wait too much longer if the latest leaked roadmap proves accurate.

Read more

2. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 291   +55

Still struggling on here with a 755 quad g0 stepping, how will I manage?

3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

Skylake-S here I come! I just hope I can still use my H100i with it.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

Nice but I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon but when I do these still-to-be-released chips will have seen better days by then.

5. Cryio

Cryio TS Booster Posts: 192   +58

Get a Q9650, overclock it to 4 GHz, hang on tight until you get the budget to upgrade to a FX 8320 or an Haswell i5.

6. Cryio

So starting with September/October we're going to have desktop and laptops with Skylake? Pff.

What do we even know of Skylake?

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,560   +2,901

There was not enough info for you to know the Q9650 would work.

8. I still dont see any need to change my i7 940... Am I worng?

9. Cryio

As long as it's overclocked to 3.5, nope.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,560   +2,901

Let me fix this for you.

As long as it satisfies your needs, nope.

11. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

The next K-series chip from Intel will be Skylake-S, a 95W chip on the LGA platform. As a “tock” in Intel’s tick-tock release cycle, this chip is expected to be completely redesigned with better performance and reduced power consumption. According to the slide, the “K” variant will be joined by standard 65W and 35W variants.

If you're looking for final specs now, it's too early for that.

12. cldmstrsn

cldmstrsn TS Booster Posts: 102   +52

No you are not wrong. If it does everything you want it to do then there is never a reason to upgrade. I have a 3770k in my system and honestly that will definitely last me at the very very least another 3 years. so ill jump into Cannonlake or the one after that.

13. Revolution 11

Revolution 11 TS Enthusiast Posts: 40

Let's be honest here. His i7 940 itself is good for Cannonlake's successor unless he is really into video encoding or game emulation or photo editing. Your 3770K will be good for even longer.

If you are on a desktop, does power consumption really matter? I would never buy a "tick" like Cannonlake as a desktop CPU, time permitting of course. The tocks are much more interesting.

14. cldmstrsn

cldmstrsn TS Booster Posts: 102   +52

Ya for sure he would be good when cannonlake comes out and I agree tocks are much more interesting and that's why I said either cannonlake or whatever is after it but I don't see myself upgrading until DDR4 is cheaper or another form of memory comes out. Probably 2018 or 2019 I see doing a new build.