TechSpot

Browser-based iPhone 4 jailbreak goes live

By Jos
Aug 2, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Just days after the U.S. Copyright Office made cell phone jailbreaking legal, the folks over at iPhone Dev Team have made it easy for the average user to set their Apple smartphones free and install apps that aren't available through the iTunes-based App Store. The hack is accessible to anyone through the website JailbreakMe.com, via the Mobile Safari browser, and can be used with an iPod touch or iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G running iOS 4 and 4.0.1.

Read the whole story

2. kyosuke

kyosuke TS Rookie Posts: 47

in the amount of time it took me to read this article I jailbroke my phone :D. Bloody insane how quickly Jailbreaking is spreading. If smart Cydia should just join Apple and make a real profit

3. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

apple would be having too much fun playing big brother and thought control to even consider that kind if partnership...

4. TophCPU

TophCPU TS Rookie

yeah I'm sure apple wants to team up with the company that has been costing them a **** ton of money.

5. Skout

Skout TS Rookie

lol **** ton? does **** weigh more than other tons?

but yah... little chance of Apple sharing their game with anyone, much less upstarts who they see as thieving from them. ;)

6. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

Even with a jailbroken iphone 4, doesn't the new type of simcard prevent using the phone with another carrier?

7. bj00uk

bj00uk TS Enthusiast Posts: 146

@recipe7
    this is jailbreaking not unlocking, although supposedly a unlock to all carriers is on its way in a few days

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,468   +327

the cited code is reported to do BOTH jailbreak (allow install of oem software) and unlock (allow access to multiple GSM providers)

9. paynetrain007

paynetrain007 TS Rookie Posts: 88

All sounds good, the real question is there a hack out there that can make the iphone 4 work like its supposed to without a case on it?

10. bj00uk

bj00uk TS Enthusiast Posts: 146

@paynetrain007, lol yeah its called an Android Phone :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.