Browser redirect, yes another one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Within the past week or so, I’ve been getting redirected whenever I click on the links in my search. It usually links me to ads like working from home, or buying things… and sometimes I usually get sites that try to trick me into downloading whatever it is I’m looking for… But as of lately, it’s been getting worse like timing me out of webpages and such. I did the steps required and it’s still going on.
Also while scanning for viruses with AntiVir, it picked up two things. One called Agent.B Exploit, and Infected.WebPage.Gen… Anyway, any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hi :

The 1st thing I noticed is that you did NOT allow Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to do
its job since the Scan results say "No action taken" . So run the program again
( "Full Scan" ) and When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. Be sure that everything is checked, & click "Remove Selected" .

The 2nd thing I noticed is that you seem to have 2 different antiVIRUS programs
"running", a security no-no . Since you apparently want AntiVir, you should follow
the Instructions at http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033 .

3rd : You have the malware-prone Adobe Reader. Recently, Researchers found a new hackertoolkit that uses nothing but Adobe securityleaks in order to infect systems. "PDF Xploit Pack" ( http://www.trustedsource.org/blog/153/Rise-Of-The-PDF-Exploits )adds all kind of exploits to PDF-files. When a certain exploit has successfully infected the OS, the IP address is sent to the attackers, so they need to try again. This to reduce the time it takes to manage the bots.

Use of PDF-files is becoming more and more popular among malcreants, this because other toolkits also have PDF exploits now. A year ago only 3% of the exploits were PDF directed.

So I recommend you uninstall Adobe and get the safer "Foxit Reader" .

4th : Your Log shows the Presence of the Bit Comet P2P program; the use of
these QUADRUPLES the Chances of getting malware on a computer . I
recommend you uninstall this program and IF you must use a program like this,
Choose "Shareaza" from http://shareaza.sourceforge.net .

Lastly : I see a few "Viewpoint" Items, and unless you use AOL as your ISP, they
should be uninstalled, primarily from your "Add or Remove Programs" .

Okay well, I ran MBAM again and removed whatever it found. I thought I did that before but I guess not. Anyway... I restarted my comp and when it was starting up AntiVir found something... about 12 of these popped up, "RKIT/Clbd. KR" So I moved it to quarantine and removed it. Just thought I mention that...

Anyway, I did what you asked, and attached another MBAM/HJT log. Thanks for the help so far!

O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [notepad.exe] msmsgs.exe

This looks extremely fishy. I would highly recommend fixing it.

Same proxy issue associated with Ads
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
momok, what do you think about the above?

I would love to see the settings for this section of the registry
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

What is this?
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\Aura.exe
Do the following:

Reset IE Settings to default

RIES(IE6)

Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab > Click reset web Settings.

Please install IE7http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9AE91EBE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en

HijackThis detects settings for various areas during a system boot. I've did some research on that; that setting is at best harmless. (My system has that set too, just not on bootup. You can check your own registry too) Proxies are often used in anonymizing web surfing or content filtering; whilst I don't know for sure why that setting seems to be often enabled in such infections, it remains harmless.
Thus I see no need to fix that entry.

The Aura.exe is simply HJT running, but renamed.

HijackThis detects settings for various areas during a system boot. I've did some research on that; that setting is at best harmless. (My system has that set too, just not on bootup. You can check your own registry too) Proxies are often used in anonymizing web surfing or content filtering; whilst I don't know for sure why that setting seems to be often enabled in such infections, it remains harmless.
Thus I see no need to fix that entry.

The Aura.exe is simply HJT running, but renamed.

Yeah I have checked my registry and have seen the proxy setting, but it doesn't show up n my logs, well I guesss there is no point in beating a dead horse.

Why is Hijackthis.exe renamed to Aura.exe ?

I renamed HJT because I read somewhere that certain things can hide from it, because they recognize the program being executed. Anyway, I removed what you said and things seem to be smoothing out. The redirects have stopped, which is always a good thing.

As for the whole IE thing, I've been using Firefox for a while now and have only been using IE for the sole purpose of during the whole event, it was the only browser that would connect to the site. Now that it's over... or so I think... I use Firefox for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back