Brrrr, the computer is freezing to death!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently purchased a new computer right before Christmas from Dell. The first several weeks, it worked flawlessly. Lately, however it has been freezing at least once if not twice or more a day. CRTL+DEL does not work, and the only way to fix this is to restart the computer. The other problem that I've been having is that the mouse just disappears. I have to unplug it, and then plug it back in twice in order for Windows to recognize it again. It is a standard USB mouse that came with the computer.

The system is as follows:

Core2Duo E6700
4GB RAM
Windows XP SP2

I recently installed Windows One Care appx. two weeks ago. My computer updates as needed on an automatic basis. These are the only things that I could think of that have been added/updated recently.

I use Adobe CS2, Lightroom, Quickbooks and Microsoft Office (as well as Mozilla Firefox for Internet Browsing) on a daily basis. I do not run any messaging programs or Norton.

I use my computer everyday and cannot stand to keep losing my work due to this. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Have you scanned your computer for spyware and viruses lately? If not, you should do that right away. To be safe, scan it twice. When I first used Windows Onecare, it didn't work well for my computer, so I installed alternative security software (Norton Antivirus, Ad-aware, etc.) If software came with the mouse, check to see if it is installed correctly or at all, or reinstall it. If everything seems to be in order, visit the manufacturer's website and Microsoft's website to see if there are articles in which to solve these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back