BSOD 0X0000007E (etc.) on reboot (SP3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skepee

Hi!

I'm at my wits end about this issue and I'm hoping after several long hours googling message boards and going through cryptic microsoft sites that someone can help me (I've found lots of similar issues but none quite like mine).

My computer was running fine until today when I decided to try a repair install of xp to see if it would make my computer recognize both cores of my dual core (Apart from this my computer was running like a dream).

After said repair install I now get a bsod every time I boot up the computer, just after the windows loading screen. It sais:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007e (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xBAD03348, 0xBAD03044)"

After this I've tried (to no avail):
chkdsk /r
new repair install (twice)
safe mode
reverting to last known configuration
fiddling with various settings in the BIOS
removing all USB devices

I know my hardware is fine as my computer was running with no problems before my repair install. I'm figuring it must be something to do with a faulty driver or something else I haven't even thought of. Formatting and reinstalling isn't really an option because I'd rather drown than loose all my data and then go through the motions of reinstalling every single driver and program I have.

I'm running (was running) a:

Intel Core2 E8200
nVidia nForce 750i SLI FTW
8800gts (x2)
XP Professional SP3

Any help would be greatly, vastly appreciated! :)

I can get into safe mode, yes. But any attempt to log onto windows normally causes a blue screen and crash.

I can get into safe mode,
Start up in Safe Mode, then:

Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr
Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error(s) corresponding to time of BSOD>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)
Please ignore Warnings. Don't paste the entire Event Log.

System:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sptd
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 30.11.2008
Time: 15:38:42
User: N/A
Computer: HUVIG-CDB8D2AB8
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: b8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ¸.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

and

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10016
Time: 15:39:07
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{DCBCA92E-7DBE-4EDA-8B7B-3AAEA4DD412B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

and

Event ID: 10005
Time: 15:39:41
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

------

no errors in applications or the other choices around time of crashing (I crashed just now for this purpose)

hopefully it gives you something to go on!

Okay, good job. You have now met one of the best troubleshooting tools in Windows XP and Vista:

Event ID: 10005
Desc: "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode"
No problem. It should work in Normal Mode.No problem here. Several Services don't start in Safe Mode so technically it's not an Error.

Make sure the DCOM Service is set to Automatic:
Start> Run> services.msc> right click on DCOM> Properties> set Startup type to Automatic.

Event ID: 10016
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{DCBCA92E-7DBE-4EDA-8B7B-3AAEA4DD412B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

1. Open the registry and go to “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{<CLSID in the event message>} to find out friendly name of this component.( You are only 'looking' here- do nothing!)
2. Go to Component Services via Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Components Services.
3. Expand the Component Services branch then expand “Computers”, “My Computer”, and “DCOM Config”.
4. Right-click on "Machine Debug Manager" (or whatever your CLSID represents) and choose Properties.
5. Click on the Security tab and under “Launch and Activation Permissions” select “Use Default”.
6. Click OK, close the Component Services window. The error should disappear now.
Event Source: sptd>> SPTD stands for SCSI Pass Through Direct layer.
Event ID: 4
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .
This event was related to Daemon Tools and a security update from Microsoft. Apparently, uninstalling the
Just go to Add/Remove programs, check the box at the top that says show updates, find the KB914784 update and remove it.
[/QUOTE]
Reboot when through. Advise system status.

Two problems:

1:

"3. Expand the Component Services branch then expand “Computers”, “My Computer”, and “DCOM Config”."

Component Services shut down when I try to access "my computer". No error message or warning. Just shuts down. Vanishes!

2:

The security update you are referring to doesn't exist in the add/remove programs list, only updates KB923789 and KB905474.

My computer was running fine until today when I decided to try a repair install of xp to see if it would make my computer recognize both cores of my dual core (Apart from this my computer was running like a dream).
Apparently something went wrong with the repair. Review Post #2, or try another repair. There's an old saying that goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Well the links provided in post #2 didn't help me. And I don't have a creative joystick. A reinstall didn't solve any problems either :/

After this I've tried (to no avail):
chkdsk /r
new repair install (twice)
safe mode
reverting to last known configuration
fiddling with various settings in the BIOS
removing all USB devices
I don't know what else to tell you. You took a machine that was working perfectly and "repaired" it! How can you 'repair' something if it isn't broken.

I am very conservative about telling anyone to do this, but you may be a the reformat/reinstall point. Something got repaired that was working okay- I don't know what it was. You've made changes in the BIOS to try and 'fix' it along with a lot of other functions that possibly made it worse.

No it's ok, I realize what I did was pretty stupid. Anyway I formatted and reinstalled. Windows works but it's gonna take time to get all the drivers and programs I need back. Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back