BSOD 116 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trintar VIII

Hello,
I have recently been having problems with blue screens and was getting a 116 error. I found it was being caused by a .sys file, ati----.sys. Unfortunately I can no longer get my computer to turn back on to verify the file name. I can hear fans and HDs, as well as lights on the motherboard, but nothing shows up on the screen. I also know that my monitor is working properly. I have reset the CMOS battery and it didn't help.

I have a Radeon HD 3870 and an ECS KA3 MVP. Let me know what other info is needed and thanks in advance!

I had a machine that was getting errors like this after the windows genuine advantage was removed from system start up. have you recently removed the WGAnotify or wgalogin?

I have not removed any WGA programs from startup intentionally. At this point I am just trying to get my computer to boot.

Ah yes, that is the file, atikmdag.sys. However there is nothing in there that can help me at this point.

As an added note, I could tell when a bsod would come because my screen would have a pixelated checkered look. The last time this happened, I restarted my computer and saw the same thing, this time when my motherboard logo showed up (the first thing I see when starting up, before BIOS). The screen then turned black and I have not been able to get anything to show up on screen since then.

If it is pixalating then one of two basic things are most probably happening: either a) the card is overheating due to obstructed air flow or the video card fan is failing or has failed or b) the card is dying and there is no way to fix it; it will need to be replaced.

It seems the video card was dead. I went out today and purchased a new one and everything is fine. Thanks very much, everyone, for your responses! I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back