BSOD after desktop loads

StuartA2

Wondering if you folks can help here.

My computer has been running perfectly fine until recently. The problem occured when I rebooted and everythig seems to load fine, the desktop appears etc. but just as its complete I get a BSOD and so it repeats.

The only way I can reboot is to do so in safe mode, then click a restore point, but this has also caused some problems (and probibly some I don't know about) by saying certain files are missing when updating programs or trying to run a game.

Weird thing is, that the system runs fine with no crashes, until I have to reboot.

I`m a bit of a technophobe, so please try to spell things out for me,

thanks,

Stuart
Ps. Run chkdsk etc. all was good :-(

Hi Stuart,

Did you install a new program / software whe you needed to reboot?

Also when you get the BSOD there should be an error code there anyway you could make a note of the error code for is?

James

Hi,

Like I said, i`m not very techie minded, but followed some advice here so i could read the blue screen. This is what it says:

The problem is possibly caused by windrvNT.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

----------
Technical info
Stop: 0x00000050 (0xB84F4000, 0x00000000, 0xB84940A6, 0x00000000

windrvNT.sys - address B84940A6 base at B849000, datestamp 409F405C

--------
havnt got a clue what all that means, but hope it helps.

many thanks,

Stuart

Ps. The reboot was following a standard windows update

Hi Stuart,

It appears that the file "windrvNT.sys" is conflicting with a part of your system that has something to do with FolderLock and can conflict with some AV programs.

Can you boot into safe mode? If so try booting into safe mode and look for the file. I would try re-naming it for now and see if this makes a difference when you try to boot normally

Hope this helps
James

Thanks very much James, that seems to have sorted the problem - much apprciated, I thought it was a system file so was hesitant to mess about with it. Wierd thing is, a few months ago I did a clean install and no longer used folder lock so deleted it (it was on one of my external drives), must have been a 'leftover'. How did you know it was a file to do with Folderlock btw?

Cheers again,

Stuart

Hi stuart,

its a fault i have across before with some customers.

It is actually percfectly safe to delete this file if u wish to do so. Glad i could help :)

James

Back