BSOD After hooking up an Ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumper

This is fairly new system, Intel 965 series board, 2G ram, 2.4Core 2 Duo. It had a Msft wireless keyboard and mouse. I plugged in a 4th gen Ipod, First thing that happened was a USB error and the mouse quit. Rebooted, no change. Installed a standard mouse and keyboard, with all USB devices un-plugged, get a constant "Unrecognized USB Device" error message in system tray, followed by a BSOD. Here is the debuglog.txt file.

Any help on this greatly appreciated. I was a couple of keystrokes away from wiping the drive and reloading everything.
Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 8
I can prevent the blue screens by disabling the USB ports in the CMOS, which I have done a number of times. I can try booting with last known good conf. The drive on this system has a second partition with Vista installed. This prevents me from doing a system restore from within Windows.
Thanks
Bill

This couldn't be as simple as removing and re-installing the USBport.sys file, could it?

Definitely worth a shot if you haven't already.

If you can access that Windows installation, zip up some of your .dmp's in C:\Windows\Minidump and attach them to your next post.

I looked at the DMP's using the Windows tools, they all look pretty much like the one I included in my original post. Posting them wouldn't be a problem, though. I disabled the USB ports in the CMOS, renamed the USBPort.sys file and extracted on from the DLL cache directory. (I assume that WIndows uses one of these files, located in \WIndows\System32\Drivers) Didn't make any difference.
Thanks
Bill

Zenosincks said:
What if you uninstall your USB drivers via devmgmt.msc and reboot/reinstall?

I would like to ask if devmgmt.msc work differently from Device Manager, but it must or you wouldn't be suggesting it. I have disabled the USB ports in Device Manager, then uninstalled them. Got rid of all of them, restarted the system, let it reload the USB drivers and watch the error return. I certainly can run devmgmt.msc and try that.
Thanks
Bill

(Need to edit my profile with something like: The more I get into Windows, the more I learn just how much I don't know about it)

No, sorry, they're one in the same. Not sure why I said devmgmt.msc, just used to typing that into Run I guess. Have any BIOS/chipset updates?

One of the first things I did was to update the BIOS, and install the latest Intel chipset updates. Thinking I may have a bum Ipod, I plugged it in to a number of Dell Latitudes and Optliplex systems. All of them recognized the IPod immediately.
Thanks
Bill

Something else I need to mention; The drive, a 300G SATA unit is partitioned in half with Vista Ultimate installed on the 2nd partition. I haven't tested the IPod yet on Vista.

I tested the Ipod with the system booted with Vista Ultimate (SP-1). THe system returns the same "Unkonwn USB Device"
Back to the XP partition, after removing the Ipod software, I searched for and removed everything Apple in the registry. I still get the "Unknown USB Device" but not the re-occuring error and the Blue Screens. My assumptions now are:

1) Having XP and Vista installed on the same drive is somehow responsible. Formatting another drive with XP only will be the next step.

2) I have a hardware problem; Either the USB ports on the system board or the RAM is at fault

I will update what I find
Thanks
Bill

Not sure what you meant by "Having XP and Vista installed on the same drive is somehow responsible. Formatting another drive with XP only will be the next step"? Dual booting is very possible and easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back