BSOD after installing more RAM

Knuckles91

I recently upgraded to 6GB of RAM because my computer was running slow with 4GB when playing big games like Skyrim or World of Warcraft, but after I installed it, my comp crashed and gave me a BSOD whenever my RAM usage got high. So for the past 2 days I've been experimenting trying to figure this out. No temperature problems, the RAM isn't defective, my BIOS is up to date, I even reverted it to default settings. All the RAM cards work together but I only recieve the BSOD when I have a card in the 3rd or 4th slots in my motherboard. Could it be that those RAM slots are defective? I also recently cleaned out the dust so I've ruled that out as a possibility. At this point I'm stumped, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5QL/EPU
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.5GHz
Memory: 6143MB Crucial DDR2 @ 800MHz
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
HD: 400GB Hitachi SATA 1

Also if this information helps, my last BSOD said
"RT64Win7.sys Address FFFFF8800FD3DC68 base at FFFFF8800FD2C000 Datestamp 49a65b0d"

Are all the memory sticks the same type and speed?
RT64win7.sys is a Realtek Ethernet controller network driver

Yes all the memory sticks are 2GB Crucial DDR2 800MHz. Could this controller network driver be causing the problem?

Hard to say... Asus boards are known to be picky about memory, and the board could be defective because of this memory issue

Swenum.sys=Microsoft Windows PnP software device enumerator...
The NVIDIA OpenGL driver has encountered
an out of memory error. This application might
behave inconsistently and fail...
Quite a mess. All this clears up if only 2 memory modules are installed?

When I have my ram cards in the 1st & 2nd yellow & black slots, I never get BSOD, it's only when I have a card in the 3rd or 4th slots. So even If I just use 2 cards, if I have one in the 1st slot, and one in the 3rd slot, I'll get the BSOD.

You should always populate the slot nearest the CPU. If this first slot is yellow you would put 2 modules only in the yellow slots leaving the black slots empty. Of course installing 4 modules would populate both the black and yellow slots

Oh.. I've always had the cards in the black and yellow slots closest to the cpu, yellow is closest. But I did try just 2 cards in the yellow slots and that still causes a BSOD

I am also aware that having 3 cards limits the memory to single-channel, but that doesn't seem to be causing this problem.

So since I've had the 2 modules in different coloured slots, does that mean they've been working as single-channel this whole time?

Motherboard is a bit over 2 years.

Built the computer in December 2010.

Got the computer off ebay with the motherboard, power supply and tower, put the rest of the stuff in seperately but RAM has never seemed to work in these 2 slots, originally I had another 1GB card I put in with the others and got the BSOD so I removed it and thought maybe it was just the wrong model or something.

Back