BSOD after restarting following a Malwarebytes scan and BSOD after running XP repair

ug5912

Hi everyone,

After restarting the computer following a malwarebytes scan, I could not get into window, nor safe mode and system restore by pressing F8 at start up. What I only had after running a little while is BSOD. Btw, I ran diagnostic test a few times. All passed.

After this happened and I did some searching online, I decided to run a windows xp repair by using the original OEM window xp installation CD (sp2) when the system inside the computer is sp3 after I updated it long ago.

I followed the processes suggested by the following webpage.
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2sp3installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

It was all fine until Part 4 in that webpage. A BSOD popped out after the windows symbol in Part 3.
And I noticed some new sentences at the bottom of the BSOD which are like ‘physical memory dump’.

Hopefully, solutions for all of this would be recommended by someone. I don’t even really dare to switch the computer back on now!

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section of the forum. If I have done it, please move this post to the right section. Thank you in advance.

Were you running a repair on Xp? Because the web site you were following was to reinstall windows XP

Sorry, Well at this point you ran a repair install WinXp2 Over WinXp 3. Beings as you say you don't want to start the computer up. I doubt it would fully boot into windows now if you tried. So there is no way you could post its BSOD . You might just need to run a format and reinstall of your OS. Not unless someone here May have a better suggestion.

Sorry, Well at this point you ran a repair install WinXp2 Over WinXp 3. Beings as you say you don't want to start the computer up. I doubt it would fully boot into windows now if you tried. So there is no way you could post its BSOD . You might just need to run a format and reinstall of your OS. Not unless someone here May have a better suggestion.
Actually, BSOD pops up if I run it normally. It also has ‘physical memory dump’ at the bottom. I will try to post the stop code here later.

The stop code is: 0X0000007F (0X00000008, 0X80042000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
Some sentences are at the bottom of the BSOD which are like ‘physical memory dump’.

What I guess is that it should not be related to memory issue, because as I mentioned, I already ran diagnostic test a few times. Memory test passed and I haven't installed new memory for ages. Also, I want to add up more details. [FONT=Verdana]The computer was infected by “live security platinum”, thus I did the scanning after deleting that. I think the BSOD is because of that.[/FONT]

It very well could be the cause of the BSOD. The virus may have corrupted some files . In which a repair of windows May not have fixed. A windows repair just fixes the system files. Plus the fact you ran SP2 over SP3. This fact could cause some issues. Other then just backing up your files you want and reinstalling windows. I am kinda at a lost. There are no post bsod to read. I would like to think this a windows issue not hardware. If it was me I would reinstall windows. But, what you want to do. Is up to you.

I had exactly the same situation: after a MBAM scan, there was always a BSOD during restart. Turned out that MBAM created a 1.5 GB "avenger.txt" file at the C:\ root folder, totally filling up my system partition. Solution was to access the drive (via another OS on another partition - but I could have also booted BartPE from a USB stick) and to delete the C:\avenger.txt. However, the Trojan.Zaccess was NOT removed by MBAM - perhaps due to the same lack of disk space.

Back