BSOD after sleep - from new RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone can help but I've done a lot of Googling on this to no avail haha, it's hard when I have such limited knowledge of computers!

Basically I only had 512MB of RAM on my Compaq Presario C500 laptop, so I purchased 2GB of RAM (which came in the form of 2 x 1MB cards) off Ebay. The details from the listing were: '2GB (2 x 1GB) LAPTOP MEMORY DDR2 SODIMM PC2-5300 5300S - WORKS FOR ALL LAPTOPS SUPPORTING DDR2-5300 DDR2-4200'
I just checked the details on the actual cards which are labelled: 'Ramaxel 1GB 1RX8 PC2-5300S-555 LF'

It is only since I installed (and re-installed just in case) these cards that I have been getting the BSOD - error code: *** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x8014D000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). The BSOD always happens when my computer has been in sleep/hibernate/standby mode, it wakes up okay for a few seconds then crashes. I've attached a minidump in case it helps.

So I presume this is because of the new RAM (which I don't think we checked the compatibility for before purchasing :s) but I just wanted to check on advice as to where to go from here?

Is there some kind of re-formatting or other process I could try? Or a test I should perform? I've seen 'memtest' on a few sites but the link looks confusing and I didn't know which one to download haha.

Otherwise I guess I should just google the correct and compatible RAM for my computer and purchase some more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Your error 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Here is the easiest way you can tell if it is your memory. Take out your new memory and then put in your old. Any BSODs?

No reformatting, etc. will "fix" memory issues. The thing is a) how reliable is that memory you bought and b) did you check your laptop's website to see what memory is compatible with your system? Just because it says it will work regardless often isn't the case.

Do the following: Go to www.crucial.com and let them scan your system for free. This is perfectly safe to do and they will tell you the type of memory you can install and the maximum.

Then go to a reputable website like NewEgg.com, ZipzoomFly, etc. and purchase good, well known memory such as Crucial, Kingston, G.Skill, OCZ, etc. for your laptop.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Unfortunately it was a little while ago that we installed the new memory and we discarded the old card at the time.

However I don't think we did double check the compatibility so I think it's safe to presume thats the problem.

I have done the Cruicial scan and will purchase some memory directly from them according the the recommended compatibility.

Thanks heaps for your help :)

Hmmm I've done the Crucial scan which recommends DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 , which seems to match what i've currently got installed.

Unforunately Crucial, Newegg and Zipzoomfly don't ship internationally and I'm in Australia haha.

I'll try to find a reputable brand locally.

Thanks again :)

You should be able to find a good brand in Australia. I never heard of that memory before and honestly I wouldn't buy it from eBay. Again, just because it says it will work doesn't mean it will. There are 1st Tier, 2nd Tier, and 3rd Tier memory makers. Crucial, Kingston. G.Skill, OCZ (there are others) belong to Tier 1.

Find a good PC/Tech Community in Australia and ask in their forums a good online website. You may want to go to the General Hardware or Memory forums here at Tech Spot and ask fellow Australians where a good place to purchase would be.

Keep us up-to-date. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back