BSOD after uninstalling Speedfan/RivaTuner

Hello everyone! I'm having a rather unusual problem.
I've been using speedfan and RivaTuner for some time on my old notebook (HP Pavilion dv6000) to monitor the CPU's/GPU's temperature as well as adjust several settings. Yesterday I removed both of the programs and after a reboot - bam, a blue screen during booting up Windows XP, STOP 0x7B, probably indicating a driver problem (I remember RivaTuner asked about removing giveio.sys, as "some programs might use it", I clicked "No" [don't remove]). The same happened with the Safe Mode, it kept BSODing while loading giveio.sys. On one of the other forums I've read that renaming giveio.sys to giveio.bak or sy_ would solve the problem. And so I did by connecting the drive to the other notebook. It didn't help at all, only gave another problem - now it keeps BSODing on loading mup.sys. What should I do now? Is formatting the drive the only option?

* using a Recovery Console via Windows installer is out of the question, as this XP was a legal download from MSDNAA - I don't have that disc anymore and any other build of Windows XP refuses to work along with it. (it detects it as "an other system". And that's why I don't really want to wipe out the HDD - XP is fully legal with all the updates 'n stuff and as I'm not a student anymore I can't get it legally again)

* any option from F8 (Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration etc.) gives the same BSOD

* tried using Bart's PE disc, boots fine, but gives a BSOD in win32k.sys everytime you touch any key on keyboard

Notebook specs:
Windows XP Sp3 English
Intel Core 2 Duo 1,66 GHz
GeForce Go 7400
Segate 120 GB HDD
4 GB RAM DDR2

I'm really stumped with that one. Any hint or solution other than formatting the drive?

Cheers,
Crash.

Back