BSOD after wiping out HD - need advice

Hello everyone,

I have been having major computer problems for the past two days. My system has always been very stable, but all of a sudden two days ago, I began to get BSOD. After testing memory with Memtest86, running Scandisk, disc cleanup - basically, anything I could think of - the problem only got worse. I ended up wiping out my HD and reinstalling windows. Unfortunately, even with a fresh disk and fresh Win installation, I still keep getting the BSOD.

I have ran Memtest86 and Scandisk after having reinstalled everything as well. Both report no errors.

I am attaching the minidump that was generated during last crash.

Thank you very much for your help,
Anna

Attachments

• Mini113010-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
How long did you run memtest because according to your minidump file your issue is with memory corruption. The error code is 0x4E and this probably the strongest error for corrupted memory and that is exactly what the probable cause was listed as. Therefore you’ll need to run memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Route44,

I sincerely appreciate your help. I ran the latest memtest86 that I downloaded from their site for this purpose when the issues started. I ran it for about 5 hours and it didn't show any errors.

However, I will run it again, one stick at a time. Your reply gives me hope, because prior to this, I had no idea where else to look after having ran all the tests.

Is there anything you can tell from the minidump?

I will start on the tests right now and post back with results.

Thank you,
Anna

Yes, again, your minidump file gave the error code 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

This is probably the strongest error code for bad RAM and your dump file specicifically cited corrupted memory as your issue.

Keep in mind that as good as Memtest is bad RAM has been known to pass it from time to time so testing each stick is a good diagnostic step.

Also, check to see if your memory sticks are seated properly.

Route44,

Thank you very much for taking the time and looking at my error log. While testing showed that all my RAM modules are fine, taking them out and putting them back again did the trick. I should have done that sooner, but I was sure that since I didn't touch the sticks, everything is fine as far as their placement.

I am still surprised that after so much extensive testing (about 10 hours total) Memtest did not indicate any errors with RAM, even though it seems that at least one module became displaced. I'll keep this in mind next time I have issues.

Thanks again!
Anna

You're welcome and thanks for getting back to us. :)

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. The reason Memtest didn't read the memory as having any errors is because the memory itself isn't bad. What the Blue Screen was indicating was that something was amiss and in your case it was the need to reset the memory sticks.

Back