BSOD and can hardly log in

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was redirected here from the BSOD help, as it may be a hardware problem.

I have a Gateway laptop running Windows XP media center edition with SP2 and whenever i try logging in it either boots me before loading up or within the first 30-60 seconds. i have tried running in the last good configuration and safe mode but they dont work, it just shuts off without a blue screen. the screen has had trouble in the past and doesnt work well now so it is plugged into a computer monitor, could that be the reason its having problems? the thing is it has used this monitor for a good 6 months at least before having problems. I lent the laptop to my girlfriend so she could have a computer in her room with internet. then it started doing this. there is nothing of major importance on this computer, so i really just wanna do a full system restore or repair. but i dont know how. The system wont stay on long enough and i dont have my cd key either.

i did just have one successful log in with an error report.

i am doing the list of things microsoft says to do. currently looking for updated drivers.

EDIT: BSOD'd then got back in and performed a quick scan, found nothing, doing a full scan in hopes it finds something helpful.

Memory or failing hard drive... You may have to take it in for service. What kind of scan, memory?

Consider switching to a regular Windows XP Professional... if you can afford it...
We have seen MAJOR problems with Media Center computers of very manufacturer.... HP especially, but also the Gateway, Sony, and Dell... We have sent nearly 50 client computers back to their manufacturer for major work due to unfixable failures... all containing Media Center operating sytems...

Yes Raybay, now that you mention it... Many laptops video specs are not good enough to run Media Center effectively. I run Media Center here on my desktop both in Vista and in Windows 7 RC. I use a Nvidia 9600GT 512MB DDR3 video card on an ABIT IP35 Pro

im not really looking into spending money. if it cant be fixed by a restore ill prolly just throw it into the basement. the screens useless and i have other computers. only want it for a gaming PC cause vista isnt the greatest for older games.

You could probably borrow a copy of XP from a friend and reload the OS on the laptop that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back