BSOD and can't figure out why

Adam Keller

Hello all! I've been reading the forums for quite some time now and finally have had to post an issue. I just want to first say I appreciate everyone that does help everyone out there.

Here is my issue:

I started getting the BSOD about 5 days ago. No new hardware has been installed. The BSOD happens at random times whether I am in Chrome, IE, doing basic functions in Windows. My PC has even restarted without a BSOD a few times. I have attempted to update all my drivers and have even ran Symantec Anti-Virus.

Here are my PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
RAM: Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 16 Dual Channel Kit - CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Power supply: Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Certified
Dvd drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

I uploaded the .dmp file here if you could please take a look at it:

https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/content/user/awkeller/Filemanager_Public_Files/061312-29983-01.dmp

I am just at a complete loss and can't figure it out. I really do appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. Thank you in advance!

Are you over-clocking? The symptoms point to general computer instability. The minidump shows:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
CDROM.sys
Ntoskrnl.exe

If you are not over-clocking please set the bios to their defaults and test the memory using:
http://www.memtest.org/

Create a bootable CD (or DVD) using the pre-complied v4.20 iso file. Boot from the optical drive and let memtest86 run for at least 7 passes

Test the C drive by going to computer, right-click on the C drive, select properties, tools, select disk check and select both boxes to enable a disk check on the next start up

I have the standard OCing that was done by factory settings on the CPU, in the bios, I set it to Normal performance and was still getting the BSOD. I have the GPU set to OC just a hair above factory settings. I will set that to default when I get back to the computer and will also try the options listed above. Thank you Tmagic650 for your response.

Tmagic650,

I tried the steps you listed above but I am still getting the BSOD. I have included more of my dump files. Can you please take a look at them for me? I really do appreciate it. Thank you. And I'll try anything else you can think of.

Attachments

• dump files.zip
    219.3 KB · Views: 7
Okay this looks like you are dealing with a driver issues still... Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager? Do you have any Blu-Tooth devices attached? CPUz135_X64.sys and RSPNDR.sys (Link-Layer Topology Responder driver for NDIS) are flagged in the minidumps. Go back and carefully install the motherboard chipset, and USB drivers in that order and any drivers flagged in the device manager. CPUz may just be flagged because another support driver is missing. Get the drivers directly from the ASUS support website for you motherboards model. NEVER depend solely on drivers on a supplied CD

Tmagic,

I didn't see any yellow exclamation points in device manager. I did have blu-tooth turned on, it picks up my cell phone if it is in range, but I turned that off. I went ahead and uninstalled CPU-Z from my PC. When I did that, it sad cpuz135_x64.sys was missing a driver so I told it to go ahead and remove anything that was part of CPU-Z. Waiting to see if the BSOD happens again while I am checking my drivers. Much appreciated. Thank you.

I've been putting a lot of strain on my system and so far it is running like a champ. I usually have hit a BSOD by now. Darn you CPU-Z, something that simple was causing my problems. I can't thank you enough Tmagic, saved me at least $100 cuz I was ready to hire a pc repairer cuz I didn't have time to keep investigating.

Well those ASUS motherboards are so picky about drivers and memory. I would never use them for any reason, especially here on Techspot because many computer problems include ASUS motherboards. I have a Gigabyte Z-77 motherboard. Did you get the motherboard drivers from the ASUS support site? All your previous minidumps had the same Bug Check Screen "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" A tell tail sign of driver problems
Latest dump:
Same KMODE with RASPPPOE.sys, a[FONT=Verdana] RAS PPPoE mini-port/call-manager driver[/FONT]

I updated the Asus motherboard bios and still got a BSOD. I also have noticed that my startups are taking way longer than they used to. The BSOD is showing 0x0000001e as the STOP error. Sometimes it is 0x00000000, but not as often as the other.

Does the device manager still look clean. How is the Western Digital hard drive set up? IDE or AHCI?

Actually it might be IDE, I am not sure right now as I am not at the PC right now. Which one would you recommend Tmagic? Should I try changing IDE to AHCI or changing AHCI to IDE?

If the hard drive is set in IDE you do need to reformat it and enable AHCI. This will give that big drive better performance. Is it connected to a SATA 2 or a SATA 3 port?

So definitely make sure it is not on IDE when you can. Remember, if it is set IDE you will have to re-format and install Windows fresh. Also, remember to get the motherboard drivers from the ASUS support site

Thanks Tmagic, I will check it out when I get home. It is just frustrating this all started happening out of nowhere. I had not installed any new hardware nor software. I will update you this evening. If all else fails, I am just going to take it to a repair shop near my house to save myself some time. At this point, I'd rather just have it fixed regardless of cost, it is consuming too much of my time right now. But I can't thank you enough for helping me! Stay tuned....

So things went from bad to worse! I made sure the HD was AHCI which it already was. I ran malware program to find any bad stuff and to get rid of it. It found over 12 issues. I got rid of those. Then it started to BSOD again in regular windows mode and in Safe mode. Then after awhile, the monitor started to shut off and stop displaying anything yet the PC keeps running. So now it is almost impossible to get the PC to perform any action at this point. If the PC does make it to windows, it takes like 5 minutes to get there. I am at a loss at this point.

Ok, Tmagic, things have gotten even worse. I decided to reinstall Windows 7 and give everything a fresh start. It was looking good at first, once Windows was installed again, it booted right up and really fast. I made it to windows, started installing drivers and updates. I was in the middle of Windows updates, it had 75 of them to intall, it BSODed on me. Also, the PC has started locking up on me without even BSOD. It will just completely freeze. And sometimes as mentioned above, the monitor stops displaying anything yet the PC remains on. Could this be an issue with the HD? I saw in another forum that someone replaced their HD who was having the same problems and it fixed everything. Thoughts?

Or could it be a bad Mobo? or other hardware failure?

So to update here. I finally gave up on troubleshooting and took my PC into a place called Data Doctors. They tested every piece of hardware and couldn't find what was wrong. Everything was checking out fine but the PC wouldn't stay on or post to windows. So since this PC is my gaming machine, I didn't care about my files on my HD. So Data Doctors zeroed out my hard drive. Windows was installed again and all drivers updated and it has been running like a champ now. It cost $59 for their diagnostic service and didn't charge me for the zeroing of the hard drive. It was well worth it to pay the cash, let someone else trouble shoot for hours. I had spent too much time on this. Data Doctors is great, they are all certified techs and know their stuff. Better and cheaper than Geek Squad. So it was just some bad files on my hard drive from either malware, virus or they just became corrupt for whatever reason. Zeroing out the hard drive was the solution! Thank you Tmagic for listening and assisting me throughout this process.

Okay Adam, a full format would have done the trick too... Glad you got it done. Keep an eye on that hard drive though...

Back