BSOD and computer won't come up to apply fixes

I am getting the BSOD on my desktop PC, running Windows XP and the computer will not go past the BSOD.

[FONT=Verdana]The stop error is: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]STOP Error 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]There are a lot of suggestions on the web to fixing the problem but they all involve acutally getting the computer to come up (I.e. go to Start, All Programs etc. or download this hotfix, etc.) but my desktop will not go any farther than the BSOD. I have tried getting it to come up by using the last known good configuration option, no luck, goes right back to BSOD. I have tried Safe Mode, no luck- it runs through a DOS screen with lots of lines and then just sits there. I have to turn it off and back on and then back to BSOD. Is there a way I can get to a DOS prompt and fix the problem from there rather than actually having the computer up to do downloads or fixes? I'm not that techy so it would have to be pretty specific instructions from the DOS prompt. :)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Thanks - any advice is appreciated![/FONT]

I think I do actually have an XP install disk. I bought the desktop new and I found the file folder I put everything in and it looks like there is an XP disk included. The linked instructions look intimidating to me, but I'll give it a try - I've got nothing now, so the worst that could happen at this point is I have nothing at the end of all that! :D Thanks for info - much appreciated!

Back