Bsod and other problems

MothBaller

i've tried posting to toms hardware but no one has responded so maybe i'll have better luck here.

about two weeks ago my computer started randomly restarting on me. i left it off for a while and when i turned it back on it won't post. everything turns on but blank screen. if i leave it running like that for a while i can get the post screen to show it won't load to windows. somone said to clear my cmos and i did that and that is when it started to freeze at post. i am also getting cpu over voltage error.

about my blue screens of death. i disabled the auto restart and still won't hold on the screen for me to write it down. booting in safe mode doesn't hold it. i was told the event viewer can give me the stop errors but it won't let me read it. something like can't recognize the interface...

anything would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

xp pro sp3
pentium d 2.8 ghz
2 gb g skill ram
120 gb toshiba hard drive
3 fans
hp dvd burner
asus mobo

now i just got it to post but it didn't display the usual stuff

all thats on the screen is

intel 82945g chipset family pci accelerated svga bios
build number 1295 pc 14.12 2/17/06 17:49:39
decompilation or disassembly prhibited
copy right .....

Did the "CPU overvoltage error" occur before you cleared the CMOS? If you can get into the BIOS, try selecting the setting to restore optimized defaults, or something along those lines.

If you can, take your RAM to a machine with the same RAM type, and run Memtest86 on it: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Honestly, you may consider taking the machine to the local PC shop, and having them diagnose the issue. They have all the parts on hand, so they can just try trial-and-error until they figure out which piece(es) of hardware are at fault. Otherwise, you have to purchase the parts or find a machine you can borrow them from.

the over voltage error was the first thing it started doing when it began restarting itself initially.

now for some reason it freezes in the bios as soon as i press a key or a few keystrokes sometimes. i got lucky one time and set the bios up the way it should be and now it restarts itself before the windows load screen appears.

Back