BSOD at startup (Win XP sp3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quilby

SOLVED - look at my post towards the end of the page!
--

Hi - first of all thanks for reading this -
So I was playing a game when suddenly the power (of the whole house) went out. I put it back on and started up the computer.

It starts ok and gets to that screen where it says Windows XP with that big logo in the middle and a white hollow rectangle with a small blue rectangle bouncing from left to right.

After the blue rectangle bounces for about 5 seconds suddenly a BSOD comes up for a fourth of a second and then the computer restarts automatically. Every time it starts up it also shows that screen where it says "windows has detected an error"... and it lets me boot into safe mode, last config, and regular. I have tried all those options and none work (all give the same problem).

I know that its not a problem with the hardware because I just booted to an ubuntu os running on the same comp and everything is fine.

How do I fix this? (I can also access the whole windows partition from ubuntu, if that helps...).

EDIT: Some people have been confused so I will say it again:
I cant start the computer in safe mode....

If you can get into Safe Mode and check the event Viewer for Error(s) that correspond both to the time of the startup and the time of the reboot, we might find enough to help:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> open the System log and the Application log one at a time> Look for Error matching time of failed startup and reboot> right click on the Error> Properties> Click on the Copy icon, top right, below the down arrow and Paste here (Ctrl V).

Please ignore Warnings and Information Events. IF you have a recurring Error with the same ID#, the same Source and the same Description, I only need on copy. You don't have to include the lines of code in box below Description is any.

I don't do the dump files, but we may get enough info his way to begin to troubleshoot.

LookinAround: Thanks, I will try that!

Bobbye: As I said I cant start the computer even in safe mode. But I have access to all the windows files from my ubuntu os (which is on the same hdd and computer). So if you know if the log is stored as a .txt and where it is I will be able to examine it.

Thanks again!

EDITED

Sorry did not see fail to start in safe mode please ignore.

(generally if you can get to windows logo then you should be able to at least get to safe mode options)

Hello!

Due to your power failure Windows Did not Dismount the Harddrive correctly causing some File system error and probably corrupted your MFT or FAT:

Start your computer in safe mode by pressing F8 of F5 while starting up and do a disk check.

Go Start> Run> type in "CMD" (without the quotes) and enter.

in the command prompt window that opens up Type "chkdsk C:" and Enter.
wait till you see message that says the check is completed (it might also say that it fixed some errors and you should run chkdsk with /f)

type in "chkdsk C: /f" and Enter
type "y" to answer the question then enter.

shutdown and restart:

Let the diskcheck run and computer will restart automatically into windows (hopefully)

If it does not, Start in safe mode again and select "Last known good configuration"
and Enter.

then Let us know if you still have problem

As I said I cant start the computer even in safe mode.
No, that's not what you said. You said:
and it lets me boot into safe mode, last config, and regular. I have tried all those options and none work (all give the same problem).

Which is it?

Bobbye I understand that I confused you guys a little bit so I will explain again:

1. I start up the computer and then get the BIOS screen thing.

2. Now, instead of immediately getting the windows xp logo with that blue rectangle bouncing from left to right, I get a screen saying "windows has encountered a problem...."

3. This screen lets me choose between:
A. Booting into safe mode.
B. Booting into last config.
C. Booting windows normally.

4. If I choose B or C it will get to that windows xp logo screen where the small blue rectangle bounces and after about 5 seconds it will get stuck for 1/2 a second, show a BSOD for 1/4 of a second and then automatically restart.

5. If I choose A (safe mode) it will show it starting up all kinds of system files when suddenly it gets to starting a file called STD.sys (or SDT.sys or something like that) and then it gets stuck, and restarts.

Thanks again for any help.

Quilby,

The way you wrote it the first time made sense as well as that is the screen that comes up if Windows fails to boot,

Anyway, the issue is most likely hard drive related and can be fixed one of three ways. If you can do a reboot and start pressing and depressing F8 to get the expanded boot options menu, you will see an option for safe mode with command prompt. If this option works, Windows will boot and instead of coming up to your desktop you come to a window that is a black screen with white letters with cmd.exe on top of it. From the C:\{something/something else/}/, type chkdsk /f. This will run check and repair your drive and should solve your problem.

If you can not get to the safe mode with command prompt option either, you will need to boot from your windows disk and get into the recovery console (do a search on booting to recovery console if you need instructions for this) anyway, once there, you can do the chkdsk/ f option to resolve the problem.

Note: If your windows disk is pre XPSP2 and your OS has been updated to XPSP3, it will not work, it will just keep asking for your admin password and even if you don't have one, it will tell you it is wrong. You can use any XPSP2 (or XPSP3) boot disk.

The third option is to remove your drive and put it in another computer, boot from the other computer, when windows load it will tell you there is a problem with one of the drives and will prompt you to do a chkdsk, just follow the screens and it will fix it. Put your drive back and you will be good to go.

1. I start up the computer and then get the BIOS screen thing.

You are making my head swim! Do you mean BIOS or BSOD? Big difference!

Do you know how to get into the BIOS? Do you have the Windows CD? I'm not sure what those moving boxes are, but I suspect you're going to have to get into the BIOS, change boot order to CD first, hard drive second, save and Exit, put in the CD and boot from the setup.

Bobbye: No no... You have misunderstood me- when I said "BIOS thing" I meant the screen that you see immediately after you start your computer ... I think it means that all the hardware is ok... If you dont understand what I mean than ignore it.

I will try what kingcomp said when I find my windows cd and I will post if it worked or not.

BTW the link LookinAround gave didnt help.... Thanks anyways!

If you can not get to the safe mode with command prompt option either, you will need to boot from your windows disk and get into the recovery console (do a search on booting to recovery console

Okay, you're referring to the POST. To do the above is what I suggested> booting into the BIOS , changing the boot order, then booting from the setup on the Windows CD>

ok bobbye... I need to try what kingcomp said... I think that will work. If it doesnt Ill post again... The problem is is that Im trying to find my windows cd.

quilby

1. As others noted, you need to run chkdsk /f from a command prompt to make sure your disk file system isn't corrupted and causing your failures

2. Before you turn everything upside down looking for your install CD:
- I glanced back and don't think you gave us your computer make/model
- Many computers hide recovery utilities (with a copy of that install CD) in a hidden / write protected area on the disk.
==> If you have a "recovery partition" you only need boot into it.
==> Try hitting F12 (instead of F8) on boot up. If not F12 try F10. And give us the make/model so we can confirm if one should be there or not.
- And are you running XP Pro or Home? If you're running XP ProI, just know you can also download an XP Recovery Console to a friend's computer, burn it to CD and use it to boot up and recover your computer (And tell us which version of XP too)

LookinAround:

I am running windows xp pro sp3 OEM ...
I have a GA-p35-ds3l motherboard.

As I said I have ubuntu running on the same computer (different partition obviously) and its working completely fine, I can even access my windows files from ubuntu. (ubuntu is a linux distro - ubuntu.com) so its not a problem with the hardware...

Thanks again for your help everyone!

I am going to try the recovery thing soon...

EDIT:
I could not find the recovery console from ms's site, but I found this link:
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=150212

What do you guys think? Its 7.4 MB...

BTW thanks for your PM LookinAround, I could not reply because I dont have enough posts (what a stupid rule...).

Yes I've quoted that bootable ISO image to others :grinthumb

By the way, I just read your last message. I haven't read anything else or what this thread's about or anything!

The Recovery Console can be as dangerous as it is a blessing (better to ask then guessing what a command will do if not sure) but sounds like you should be able to navigate your way through it. Here's some references:

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

And note that you can keep it installed and a boot option See here

/*********** EDIT *????????????????/
Hmmm.. just had a thought.. (don't know if kimsland's online & might know) I hope they updated that .iso file download. Otherwise, you'll get error messages about versions (i.e. you have SP3 if that's still an SP2 console). But will certainly find out when you post next.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Yay! Its fixed! Thanks guys- you are my super heroes!

(^^click^^)

The solution for anyone who finds this from google:
1. Put your windows xp cd / windows recovery cd in the computer and start it up.
2. Boot into cd and press "r" to go into recovery console.
3. Write "chkdisk" and wait like 10 minutes. (chkdisk /f did not work)
4. Fixed!

Some keywords for google: call of duty cod 4 (the game I was playing when the comp got f***ed) directx direct x 9

THANKS again!

btw just like the rest of the world the windows I am using is a pirated version
The problem is is that Im trying to find my windows cd.

No, most of us paid for what we have. And most of us don't waste out time helping users who have pirated software.

I dont get your post bob... are you trying to say that people who have pirated versions of windows dont have a cd? wtf? i btw found the cd because the recovery iso thing wasnt working...

w/e
thanks for the help anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back