TechSpot

BSOD BCCode e3, Mozilla crashes and internet slow download

By NewWin7User
Sep 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I've installed a fresh Win Xp onto a brand new unformatted harddrive. And then I installed SP3. From there upgraded to Win 7 64 bit a couple of days later. There were some problems with the installation of XP but Win 7 installed properly. I am now getting a BSOD error as follows:
    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: e3
    BCP1: FFFFFA80038BD300
    BCP2: FFFFFA80037B6040
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000002
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

I'm unable to open the minidump folder to attach as it says I have to be an administrator, which i am. There is also a problem with firefox which keeps crashing. I'm not sure if this is related.
    Should I start again and reinstall / repair Windows 7 installation?
    Thanks

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Are ther any yellow exclamation points is the device manager? Going from XP to Windows 7 is not usually advised as the hardware is too old and the memory is too little

3. NewWin7User

NewWin7User TS Rookie Topic Starter

No there are no yellow exclamation points in the device manager anywhere. I was advised to install Win 7 over XP. It is a brand new pc. Alll new hardware, ie. motherboard, RAM, processor, etc.

4. Tmagic650

What is the new hardware? How much memory do you have installed?

5. NewWin7User

Computer: ACPI x64 based PC
    Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.2 ghz
    RAM : 4 GB
    System Type: 64 bit os
    Disk Drive: Hitachi ATA
    Is this all you need?

Thanks

6. Tmagic650

Looks like it is good and strong enough...What are you doing when the BSOD's happen?

7. NewWin7User

It happens just on start up. I have just run and "repair your computer" from disk and it appears to start up fine at the moment.
    The message on the last BSOD was US_FS_Filesystem. But that's all I wrote down.

8. Tmagic650

If the BSOD's return it could be the hard drive going bad

9. NewWin7User

Why would the hard drive be "going bad" when it was purchased brand new two months ago?
    Is there anyway to post the minidumps as a link as I get a message about not enough permission. Is this a problem with my permissions, as i am using an administrator account. Or is it something to do with uploading to this forum?
    Would the minidumps be helpful?
    Thanks

10. Tmagic650

You need 10 posts to post attachments. Maybe it's a bios setting or memory timings

11. NewWin7User

Excellent! Thanks for all your help. I will keep monitoring it and let you know the outcome. And will reply if I get the error again.
    Maybe I should never shutdown :)

12. Tmagic650

Okay let us know :) Good Luck!