BSOD because of ntfs.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jandizz

I got a bsod today, it said, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and a little bit down the screen it said something about ntfs.sys, any idea on how i can fix my computer so this doesn' happen anymore?

NTFS is the format of the partition. Doubt that is part of the problem, but rather information on the discovery.
Suggest you go to www.microsoft.com and search KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR at the Microsoft Knowledgebase, then look online with a Gurgle search... You will find a large abundance of reports and fixes... but it will be tricky and time consuming to fix.

In my opinion, I find microsoft.com and its solutions to bsods the most unhelpful thing around, they give you the most general solutions, such as run chckdsk, did it and everythings fine, my ram is also fine, i did memtest on each stick of ram seperately overnight, and then it says "it may be a defective component on you mobo" and yeah, maybe thats where the problem is, but, if i remember correctly, there are a lot of components on my mobo, does anyone have any specific tests i can run?

Au contraire. They do not provide solutions, as that is not their job. But they do promote better understanding. It is always necessary to know what the power thinks before you can go to solutions wisely.

Maybe the problem is caused by faulty CPU cache.

Do you have another processor to install to see if that fixes the problem?

no, unfortunately no other computer in my house has AM2, but i got the processor right as AMD was releasing AM2, so perhaps it wasn't built right or something.

not when i boot up, but any time that i am randomly doing anything. i could have no programs open or i could have 10, i cant really define it.

I believe there is more to the error message:

Stop 0x0000007A or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
This error may be due to an incompatible disk or controller drivers or hardware problems. Run the windows XP check disk utility or use a more comprehensive disk utility obtained from the disk manufacturer.

Since you have run the error check, I suggest you use the Event Viewer to try and ID the cause of the problem:
Follow this path:
Control Panel Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, here) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

Or you can use these sites:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

You will find links on both of these sites to further explain the Event and send you in the right direction to handle it.

I went to event viewer and couldnt find anything that would cause a bsod, there were a few application errors under applications, but they were games that i play, and i can remember when the errors occurred and there wasnt a bsod. Under system theres only information things, no errors.

Jandizz, that is strange you can't relate any Errors with a time check to the BSOD. Are you looking in both System and App logs?

ran chkdsk everythings fine again, and yup im looking in both logs.
and thinking of it, last night as i was turning my comp off, i clicked shut down and about 5 seconds later it gave me a KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.

Didn't work, disabled automatic restart upon system failure and i just got a Process or Crucial Thread has been eliminated BSOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back