BSOD code 109 on fresh install no running software

forensicmoomin

Hi some help lol desperately tryin to stop my system randomly crashing with bsod main code seems to be 109 I will attach the two memory dumps in system as I did a fresh install yesterday and havent put my own software on yet as wanted to see if by replacing my dodgy 1gb cruial ram with a 2gb corsair stick whether that would solve the problems I have had since buyin my zoostorm desktop, I will also include as much info as I can but just to mention since replacin ram stick memtest is passin with flyin colours, anymore info needed plz just ask....

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LEE-PC
System Manufacturer OEM
System Model OEM
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 03/08/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Lee-PC\Lee
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.08 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.99 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.99 GB
Page File Space 3.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Name NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
Nothing definitive was cited however in light of your symptoms and the fact that the error code 0x109 can be caused by faulty RAM we want you to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

attaching a pic of memtest only 50% through 1st test

hi thanks for getting back to me pretty quickly just to confirm I am using a new 2gb corsair ram and also old stock ram which I believe is 1gb crucial I am attaching a pic of memtest around the 50% mark through its 1st pass so u can see more of specs and config etc I will post 2nd pic of full test (around 10 passes) sometime tomorrow once it finishes I bought the 2gb stick as memtest showed one of the stock 1gb crucial sticks was failing immediately and I ran 4 seperate tests 2 with each ram alternating the slots so I could rule out dodgy slot (although I only ran one complete run each time as same stick failed within secs each time

like I said I will post pic of completed test sometime tomorrow and allow you in the meantime to see early test result regarding what memtest says about my current setup

thanks again as this is really doing my nut in since I bought the system brand new just over 3yrs ago

Attachments

• memtest86.jpg
    memtest86.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 3
F.Y.I. your Corsair will run at the Crucial speed, i.e. 333 instead of 400. Have you tried running your system with only the Corsair to see if stability returns?

re ram

no as like i said setup ram and fresh install just over 24hrs ago so i could see if still gettin problems 1st pass has just completed no faults whatsoever but am still gonna leave it to do between the 7 and 10 passes

so do u think that havin the 1gb will cause the 109 i'll see what happens after testing and see what that says,
again thanks for helpin out its greatly appreciated
Lee

passed flying colours 9 passes

just to update passed with 9 full passes no issues whatsoever
having a problem finding the values of the 1gb stick
rendition, 1gb ddr2 pc2-5300 nonecc dimm, rm12864aa667.fe

have now taken that out and we'll see if system settles down but not sure how to check the voltage in my bios nevermind change it as i cant see anything
i know the latency of the 2gb corsair should be 5-5-5-18 and memtest seems to say its running at 5-5-5-15
will that make a diff? it also on corsair website that its 1.8v
also as a matter of interest the crucial website (rendition is part of them) says on the system compatibility that my system has 2 slot and can only take max 2gb, (1gb per slot) where the foxconn 45CMX motherboard website says max 4gb
thanks again looking forward to ideas
Lee

aaargh

ok still crashing the same 109 code attaching the latest dump i think as it was in windows folder but minibump folder was empty not sure if it was because i told windows to not restart but iv set it bk to auto reboot so if it happens again i'll attach latest

hope this gives a better indication
oh and just to add the only software i have added on system is convertxtodvd nothing else not even any media and its windows security essentials as my anti virus software

cant upload so i'll wait till next dump then add it

Lee

another crash :(

hi here is the latest dump hope this point to a more specific cause

Attachments

• 102211-18813-01.zip
    19.7 KB · Views: 2
yet again

had another crash but its probs gonna be same 109 again, I have no idea whats causin this as I'm only usin the new 2gb corsair stick that memtest gave a complete clean bill of health now the stick itself runs at 800 I think whereas the bios lets me go to 667 could this be the cause?

Attachments

• last 2 memory dumps.zip
    39.8 KB · Views: 1
these are with just the corsair i cant run the crucial rendition as i only have the one stick (1gb) its 64 bit windows 7 so 1gb isnt enough

i spoke to a friend who says my ram is running so slow and in the bios i seem to be locked out from changing ram settings apart from latency and frequency so using cpu-z which showed my corsair 2gb running at 333mhz
i'm convinced now that the problem is the bios not allowing the ram to run fully at 667mhz (even though the corsair is 800mhz) the bios allows me to change between 400 533 and 667 now the corsair should run with no issues at the slower speed of 667 it is my understanding so i am at a loss for the time being i hope someone can come up with a suggestion

What is the Corsair's voltage specs it was designed for and what does your BIOS show the voltage being set at? Can you even access this information?

corsair is supposed to be 1.8 and i have a foxconn motherboard so able to use fox one which shows a stable 1.79v
also usin cpu-z showing 1.8v

corsair is supposed to be 1.8 and i have a foxconn motherboard so able to use fox one which shows a stable 1.79v
also usin cpu-z showing 1.8v

Hmmm, that then should be fine. Either the BIOS is the issue as your friend points out or this motherboard doesn't like the Corsair. This is more common than people realize, i.e. motherboard being finicky with the RAM.

You could try contacting Corsair's tech and asking them about their memory and your motherboard and if they are compatible.

possible success (touch wood)

i have now gone almost 2 days without a single bsod and it is around 45hrs i think, started installing usual software took my friends advise regarding the voltage causing the problem but wasnt completely convinced so decided to add a few tweeks of my own (downloaded motherboard pdf and printed out all 67 pages for it lol) inside it told me how to make some manual adjustments to the bios regarding dram am bus frequency by changing the fox intelligent stepping from default to manual, this then allowed me to set the cpu clock from 200 to 224 with a rated FSB of 895.5, and the dram voltage regulator from 1.8 to 1.9, after that i then dram configuration to manual, 5-5-5-15 and 667MHz.
i have also put the 1gb crucial rendition 333MHz stick back in beside the corsair 2gb 400MHz and currently i have my RAM running at 373.1MHz and dual channel shows DRAM sitting at 746.2MHz which is a big improvement seeing as no matter what i used it was always running at 333MHz

but so far even with the crucial stick running higher than its rated it seems to have made a completely stable system handling everything my Win 7 pro x64 has asked of it not even any programs given the old (not responding) while it tries to do something.

So thanks again for all help as without it i wouldnt have got as far as i did.

cheers
Lee

Back