BSOD Dell Latitude D830

bgandy

Starting tonight I was noticing that my laptop was running really slow and the hdd indicator is staying on constantly, then it freezes and gets the blue screen. Under tech info on the screen, it says "*** STOP: 0x0000007E".

I have ran the built in system diagnostics and the memory test ( took 45 minutes). Both tests come back clear. The laptop also blue screens in safe mode.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Any ideas?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

hi bgandy,
this is taken form the microsoft website:
This issue might occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. This exception can be caused by any of the following:
•If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup or after Setup is complete, the computer might not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows XP.
•The computer BIOS might be incompatible with Windows XP, or it might have to be updated.
•The video adapter drivers might be incompatible with Windows XP.
•A device driver or a system service might be damaged.
•If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it might be caused by a third-party remote control program.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

i have also put the link on there as it also gives a couple solutions on how to fix it.

hope this helps
James

Thanks James,

I failed to mention that this computer was upgraded to Windows 7 about 8 months ago. It has a 250 gb hard drive with 145 gb free. It also has 4 gb of memory that was installed at the same time as Windows 7. The memory modules came directly from Dell.

The blue screen does not give reference to any specific file.

I got it to boot this morning, but it took almost 5 minutes for the windows login to appear, then another 3 minutes for it to actually get to the desktop. It ran for about 5 minute after that, but it was so slow that nothing would load, and the hdd indicator was on all the time.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Sorry should really check this more often lol :p

so this has been upgraded from XP?
just wondering if the BIOS needs updating and thats why your having problems.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...ormats?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&DriverId=R121157 -least thats the only link on the dell website for the BIOS but ive no idea if thatw ill work or not!

other than that it oculd simply be a device driver or something and maybe yhu need a fresh install of the OS

James

Finally had time to look at this again. I am able to boot the laptop in safe mode tonight. I updated the drivers and bios. The system is stable in safe mode, but would blue screen in normal mode. I rebooted in safe mode and removed the last two programs I installed, avast antivirus and audacity. After this the laptop runs fine. I reinstalled audacity and had no problems. When I try to reinstall avast, the computer freezes and gives me that nice blue pretty blue screen. When I rebooted it took almost 5 minutes to log into windows then blue screened within a few seconds. I rebooted to safe mode, removed avast and rebooted again. Once again the computer runs fine.

Anyone have some insight as to why avast would do this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back