Bsod driver-irql + restarts

Zoe20

hi all (first time poster here)

i was playing WoW earlier on and the pc restarted, it fired back up fine. 10mins after firing up, i got a bsod, didnt have time to read it, the pc wouldnt fire up in normal mode so i put it in safe mode, as it had fired up fine i restarted back up in normal mode, only to be greeted with a black screen. i turned the pc off and back on after 20secs, and restarted in normal mode once again, only to be greeted by a bsod saying something about driver-irql-not-less-or-equal, after restarting again, the pc is now running again. currently running a virus scan due to the fact that i kept being taken to other sites. im attaching the minidump files hoping i might get some answers. ok i cant attach the files as it says i need permission =O, theres no admin or passwords on this pc

ok just got another bsod, this time something about system service exception, just not sure what to do, :s

ok can not fire the pc up without it giving a bsod, weather its normal or safe mode, and is the iastor.sys important as thats what its saying at the bottom

Follow this guide to post your minidumps.

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the minidump files you wish to attach on your PC and doubleclick on it. Normally found in C:\Windows\minidump

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

im using my other pc, the main one will not fire up at all, i just keep getting bsod every time, even when opting safe mode

OK, boot up as if you are going to safe mode and when you get the screen with the choices on select Last Known Good Configuration and see if that makes any difference.

If still no go, (if this is a laptop remove the battery) with the power off remove all but one stick of RAM, then try to boot in normal mode, if still no good swap the sticks. I am assuming you have more than one memory stick. A few details of the PC would help, OS, make, model, etc.

Did you make any changes just prior to it all going wrong.?

Do you have the facility to hook the hard drive up to another PC?

Do you have the Windows OS disc?

ok have tried the ram no joy. and dont have the last known config option

the pc is
win 7
intel core2 quad prossecor q8300
4gbram
1tb hhd
intel GMA X4500 integrated

all i was doing before this happened was playing WoW, i hadnt put any new hardware to the pc. software i had install a game the night before, Hospital Tycoon, and only software i have removed was something call LogMeIn, which i hadnt put there, guessing my son had tho.

i can put the Hdd on to another pc,

i dont have a win 7 disk or a repair disk

Just to clarify, when you hit F8 at boot up can you get to the list of start up choices or does it crash before it gets there?

If you can get it there use the first option for Repair, answer the questions and enter your user name and password (if you use one) and then select "Start up Repair" from the list.

Do you have a system back up, or recovery partition?

What is the make and model number of the PC?

Can you borrow a copy of Windows 7. It must be the same version as you have written on your licence sticker.

If the above doesn't work or you simply cannot get to the first menu then put the drive in your other PC and save all the important files from it, if it will let you.

Let me know how this goes.

ok didnt know about the f8 started up on the repair on, and then selected startup repair, no repairs needed, now im doing a system restore its taking the pc back to when i remove LogMeIn program. the pc is now re starting.

yes i have a recovery partition

not sure where i would find the make and model number

dont know anyone atm with the win7 disk,

and im really hoping i can put the Hd into this pc, but think this one is IDE and not the other one.

OK the pc has been running for 10mins without BSOD, hmmm seems to have crashed, its not responding to anything. :(

WoW cant be the problem, as i have played Wow for over 3yrs now with no problems, and ever since i got the pc about a yr ago, this has only just started (since last night) and i run Wow on an external hdd, so i have wow where ever i go. the external hdd isnt even plugged in atm (its in this pc which is running fine) and im still getting the bsod, only now instead of driver-irql-not-less-or-equal, its now saying technical information and the bottom bit is something ending in 9083 i believe.

OK, see if you can boot using the F8 key to get to the list of boot options. Then select "Disable auto restart" now when it crashes it should stop on the blue screen with the error message. Post back with the error codes I only need the first set of numbers this will be something like:

0x000000D1

You will then need to use the power button to shut down the system. Do it a few times to see what different codes come up.

This anti virus for flash drive may be worth running, all the instructions are included.

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=951...echspot.com/vb/topic162632-2.html#post1019385

If this fails, boot with F8 and select Command Prompt, types chkdsk /r (include the gap) this will check for errors on the hard drive. You could also try sfc /scannow which will fix any errors in the file system but you may be asked for the OS disc to complete any repairs.

If this does not work then from the "Repair Computer" option after using F8 select "System Image Recovery" this should return the PC to factory settings from the recovery partition. Unfortunately if you have to use this you will lose all data from the drive. The only way to save your data, under these circumstances, is to connect the drive to another PC.

okn i have disabled the auto restart, the pc has only crashed once and is now currently running the anti virus its been running for 33mins so far, and no BSOD since the last one after doing the auto restart thing, the code was 0x0000000A

the anti virus so far has picked up 2134 threats :s

ok the anti virus started to remove the threats and throw the BSOD at me,

codes are

0X0000000A
0x0000000d1
0x0000000d1
0x0000000a

hope this helps

OK code A and D1 are both related to bad drivers, but in this case most probably being caused by malware and it looks like you have a lot in there.

You have four choices here, you can persevere with the flash drive anti virus and see if it will eventually clean you system and get it stable enough for you to save your important files to disc or an external drive. Saving to disc would be recommended so any remaining Malware cannot spread. Then use the recovery partition facility which will return your system to factory settings and wipe out any remaining malware.

Or, try and get the system stable enough to download and run these two anti virus scanners which should insure the system is clean but not guaranteed.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Or, go to the Malware forum of this site and let the malware experts get your system clean (recommended).

Or, throw in the towel and use the system recovery which unfortunately will wipe the drive of all you files. If you could get your hands on an OS disc you could attempt a Repair install but that will not guarantee the removal of any remaining Malware but will preserve your files.

Just one more option is to get the hard drive hooked up to a desktop PC using an internal spare hard drive connector and a laptop hard drive adaptor. You could then run this anti virus on it while it is dormant.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=951X49...http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic160478-2.html

if i choose to recover the system by the partition, would i lose the files that are on the recovery partition, as thats where all my important doc's are, including my recent scan pic, tbh thats the only file im scared to lose. also how important is it to have the OS disk for the recovery.

thanks Zoe

I take it you created the recovery partition using third party software and the image was taken of the whole system. If that is the case it will preserve any files that were on the PC at the time the image was done. Any other files saved in the same partition should remain untouched. As long as your recovery files are all in good condition and you have not done any incremental back ups while you had the malware you should not need the OS disc.

the recovery partition was on the pc when i bought about a yr ago. and i havent touched it, the pc was brand new and the warrenty ran out 10days ago :S ok ill try the recovery partition. ill let you know how it goes, thank you so much for your help :D

Zoe

ok have done the recovery thing, first time i got bsod when it said preparing the desktop, code 0x00000050 and the file was iastor.sys. second time i couldnt enter the pc name as its already there so made a new one, again got to preparing desktop and bsod 0x000000d1 and again the same file. thrid and forth time again need to choose different name and again same code and file.

OK, it sounds like your recovery partition may also be infected and as this was created by the manufacturer it will just be a copy of the original factory installation. I am not sure how you saved any other files to this partition as it is normally locked. From what you have reported I would say you only have two choices now. Go to the Malware forum on this site or you will have to get an OS disc and do a clean install.

You could look into buying recovery discs from HP as this will be much cheaper than buying a copy of Windows 7.

ok thanks for your help, i have managed to get a win7 home ed, and a vista, too tried to do any more today so will try and install the win7. tbh couldnt care if the os was xp.
again thanks

As i had pointed out earlier if you use a copy of Windows 7 it has to be the same version that is written on your product key sticker, if the version you have borrowed is different it will not work with your product key. Vista won't work unless you have been given the product key that goes with it and it is not installed on any other PC. Whatever you have got be sure to validate it within 30 days. Furthermore if your product key is OEM then you will have to activate it by phone if installing a retail version of Windows 7.

To be sure you erase any trace of the Malware run a full format on the whole drive including the deletion of the recovery partition.

Back