TechSpot

BSOD during boot

By monarch684
Feb 19, 2009
  1. I am getting the BSOD every time I try to boot. I have ran chkdsk /f/r and as soon as it gets through checking it blues screens and reboots and starts the chkdsk again in an unending cycle. Here are the minidumps:

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

0x8E errors are almost always caused by hardware. The driver your information cites is too general too be of much help. I have had this issue with corrupted memory. Therefore do the following steps and get back to us with the results.
    One good thing about this test is that it takes over as soon as you boot-up.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over. Sometimes you have to go to the BIOS and make your CD first bootable.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

3. monarch684

monarch684 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks I will try that.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

I second the excellent advice of Route44
    MemTest86 is superb. If you have trouble with the ISO, or your computer will not work well enough for you to download and create, you can try simple things.
    Your 8E error points at RAM problems, and is unique for a <stop> code in that it only points at RAM problems. If your motherboard has two memory modules, you might try removing one to see if your problem persists. Then exhange for the other module.
    Or borrow memory known good from a friend or other computer.
    BSOD's are nearly always caused by the more simple hardware problems.

5. monarch684

Ok so far I have had no errors after 8 passes. Any other ideas.

6. Route44

Let it run to 10. As good as memtest is bad memory, for what ever reason, has been known to pass on occasion. If you have time try raybay's suggestion of running your system with one stick at a time and then switch, or you can run this test per stick.

Here is another thing you can try. ChkDsk will only do somuch. Run a harddisk diagnostics by utilizing the free utility from your harddrive manuafacturer.

* Again, let us know of your results. raybay may have some other excellent ideas.

7. monarch684

Ok so I let the Memory test run over night. After 89 passes it still had no errors. There is only one stick in there. Any other ideas you might have.

8. Route44

Try the following standard diagnostics:

1. Run ChkDsk

2. Do a harddrive diagnostics by using the free utility provided by your HD manufacturer; should find it on their website. Don't skip the extensive test.

3. Scan for infections.

* Let us know the results.

9. monarch684

1. I have run chkdsk /f/r and after it is done the computer blues screens and restarts and does chkdsk again in a unendeing cycle.

2. I just got finished running the hard drive diagnostic. No errors were found.

3. I have scanned the computer for infections from my work station and still found nothing wrong.

10. Route44

Okay, then Zip together your five latest minidump files (not the folder) and attach on your next post.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.