BSOD durring and after install.

Hello forum,

I have read some treads on this site and it seems to be a very helpful site.

So here is the issue I am having. I have a HP Pavilion dv5 with an AMD Athlon X2 processor. The machine came with Vista and I was trying to install Windows 7 on it (it was given to me because it was crashing). I noticed when it was trying to start up it would flash a blue screen really quickly then reboot. I taught this was hardware related so I started by removing RAM, changing hard disk, remove wireless, and I even tried to remove the DVD drive. When I removed the RAM the PC worked and I was able to install but then bluescreen would come and go.

I recently reinstalled Vista and it was working okay until I started installing updates.

Now it crashes and creates a mini dump file (which I have attached for you all to look at).

If you need any further information please let me know.

Your help and effort is GREATLY appreciated.

Much Thanks,

Jay

Attachments

• Mini022211-01.dmp
    131.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini022211-02.dmp
    134.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini022211-03.dmp
    134.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini022211-04.dmp
    134.8 KB · Views: 2
Two errors of note. The first is 0x50 and that one simply said hardware.

The second is much more definitive. It is 0xD1 and these are usually caused by faulty drivers. In your case the Synaptics Touchpad driver SynTP.sys was cited as the issue. Synaptics drivers are found on many notebooks equipped with a touchpad.

From where are you updating your drivers?

My findings were similar but would like to know what you did with the RAM as that could be a suspect.

Have you installed SP1 and then SP2. With Vista you have to install SP1 first.

Okay so I got the PC. This had a recovery partition on it which never worked.

Yes ALL Drivers were from the HP Site.

I changed the BIOS setting to boot from CD and formatted the entire drive and then began to install Windows 7 on it. The install was nearly complete when on the final reboot I got a
page_fault_in_nonpage_area error.
STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8C6A3F00, 0x00000000, 0x8A92857B, 0x00000000)
and also a
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I then shut the PC down removed the 1 stick of RAM and the PC started working.

It ran for a couple hours then it stopped booting up. It would flash the blue screen and reboot quickly. At this point I removed most of the hardware to see if it would boot properly which it did not. I then swapped the Ram with some other sticks but with no luck.

I figured it had to be a hard drive issue so I swapped the hard drive and installed windows 7 on the other drive. The same issues started happening.

I spoke to HP Support but they suggested I buy recovery disk form them and install Vista back on it.

I then re-installed Vista on the machine which appeared to be working okay until I started installing driver and windows updates. It started having random crashes.

Right now it appears to work but getting it to boot up is the hard part.

Try this link to check for windows 7 compatability which may shine some light on why it was a problem with windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Then, going back to my last post, what did you do to reinstall updates. Did you install SP1 and then SP2?

Switch off Auto Updates. Go into Control Panel and in Programs, uninstall any updates you already have and then get SP1 installed before running Auto Updates.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791#DownloadSession

Look under method 3 and click on the link where it says "click here to download SP1" choose the correct bit rate for your version of vista i.e. 32 or 64bit.

Back