TechSpot

Bsod error 0x0000007b

By needlenpins
Jun 5, 2008
  1. I am getting this error on a new install on a brand new build. I am using a seagate 500gig SATA hard drive. I also have 2 SATA optical drives. Bios recognizes all 3, but when I try to install XP Pro, I get the bluescreen just after copying files. Does anybody have a fix for this, I would really like to use my new machine!

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,171   +37

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

Try running with just one SATA drive.

Are the drives correctly configured as Master-Slave?

Are the haddrives in the BIOS placed as first bootable?

3. needlenpins

needlenpins TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your suggestions.

I can't run with just one sata, because my optical drives are sata and are needed to install xp, I don't think sata drives have to be configured as master slave, and the dvd rom is the first boot device in bios.

I think that the fix is to install the sata drivers that came on the mobo disk when the xp installation calls for third party drivers. I have not had a chance to try this yet because I did not install a floppy drive in this computer. I will have to take the one out of my old computer to try it.

Has anyone else heard of this as a fix? I'd appreciate any comment.

4. needlenpins

needlenpins TS Rookie Topic Starter

For anyone else who reads this and has the same problem, installing the third party drivers did the trick.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.