TechSpot

BSOD error after trying Win XP Recover

By docterteeth
Apr 24, 2009
  1. I have an HP P4 3.2 Ghz, 2.5 GB Ram, 200GB HD and 500 GB HD system. I had recently got a virus that I cleaned out with AVG. I decided to see if I had anymore so I downloaded the full-trial version of AVG and came up with around 5,000 infections and problems. At one point during the scan, AVG prompted me for my Windows Service Pack 3 disk to replace corrupted or bad files that the virus VIRUT had replaced. Didn't have one so I opted to continue and come back later. After the scan was complete, I may have inadvertantly deleted neccessary files for Windows to run properly after all infections were scanned. I rebooted and started getting lots of svchost.exe errors - c000021a Status of 0xc0000034.
    I tried to reboot, restore and go to safe mode to fix everything. Didn't help. I removed AVG to see if that would make any difference and that didn't help. I downloaded the ISO file of Windows Service Pack 3 and though I couldn't get it fully installed, I don't seem to be getting the svchost.exe errors any longer. I have noticed however the loss of lots of 3rd party programs on my computer. I have tried to use my Recovery discs that I made when I first got the computer. Since I don't want to lose what's on my 200gb hard drive, I've been trying to do a recovery. Everytime I do (whether its through the bootup process, Recovery discs or a Windows XP Pro disc), it will start the process but then eventually get to the Stop Screen 0x00000024 blue screen. It additionaly says: (0x001901FD, 0x89E96808, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000). I have not attempted to do a full/fresh install on the main drive so I don't lose the info I have.
    I can shut down and go through a normal bootup process and still access everything on my hard drive but I don't have access to things like Control Panel or other basic features. I can burn dvds/cds but I don't want to back up my info and end up saving what virus/trojan caused this in the first place.
    Ideas, recommendations, tips? Thanks for the help.

2. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,554   +18

I see there are no replies yet,
    nor have you edited your post.
    What is the current status?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.