TechSpot

BSOD / freezing mostly while gaming

By Robbie1989
May 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone !

I've had a blue screen/freezing problem for a while now playing games and watching videos online. On certain games the blue screens are frequent and the game is unplayable, always starting with a graphical glitch of sorts before going black > blue screen in under a few seconds. Another game runs fine unless I'm on the main menu looking up statistics of a previous match which will always blue screen my computer after a graphical hiccup. Other games bsod also but is fairly infrequent and seems random. Alt tabbing as the graphical problem is occurring I can see the 'display driver has stopped responding' before I go to the bsod.
    Specs are as follows, custom made from a store 1 year ago.

CPU: IntelĀ® Core i7 860
    Motherboard: Asus P7P55D
    Memory: 4.0GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics card: Nvidia GTX285
    Sound card: Asus Xonar DS 7.1
    Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit
    PSU: 750W Thermaltake Toughpower

Reformatted my PC only last night and the problem persists after installing and playing The Witcher 2 for a minute before bsod. What's very odd is that I can play Crysis completely maxed out with no problems and a very smooth experience.

This forum has helped me twice in the past with computer problems but I simply can't solve this one. Please help.

2. r3dark

r3dark TS Rookie Posts: 50

do you have the steam version or the retail?

3. Robbie1989

Robbie1989 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Steam, if that matters.

4. Boorim

Boorim TS Rookie

I actually have the same problem. my pc keeps freezing after teen minutes of playing. I've tried to change my heat settings, but i don't think that helps. You can try that too you know.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.