TechSpot

BSOD / freezing mostly while gaming

By Robbie1989
May 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone !

I've had a blue screen/freezing problem for a while now playing games and watching videos online. On certain games the blue screens are frequent and the game is unplayable, always starting with a graphical glitch of sorts before going black > blue screen in under a few seconds. Another game runs fine unless I'm on the main menu looking up statistics of a previous match which will always blue screen my computer after a graphical hiccup. Other games bsod also but is fairly infrequent and seems random. Alt tabbing as the graphical problem is occurring I can see the 'display driver has stopped responding' before I go to the bsod.
    Specs are as follows, custom made from a store 1 year ago.

CPU: IntelĀ® Core i7 860
    Motherboard: Asus P7P55D
    Memory: 4.0GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics card: Nvidia GTX285
    Sound card: Asus Xonar DS 7.1
    Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit
    PSU: 750W Thermaltake Toughpower

Reformatted my PC only last night and the problem persists after installing and playing The Witcher 2 for a minute before bsod. What's very odd is that I can play Crysis completely maxed out with no problems and a very smooth experience.

This forum has helped me twice in the past with computer problems but I simply can't solve this one. Please help.

2. r3dark

r3dark TS Rookie Posts: 45

do you have the steam version or the retail?

3. Robbie1989

Robbie1989 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Steam, if that matters.

4. Boorim

Boorim TS Rookie

I actually have the same problem. my pc keeps freezing after teen minutes of playing. I've tried to change my heat settings, but i don't think that helps. You can try that too you know.