BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Reckoning

From the reading I've done on this, it seems to either be a badly seated CPU or RAM or even CPU overheating.
However wouldn't that mean I'd still run into problems while in safe mode? While in safe mode it will stay on forever with no BSOD, but it won't boot Windows for more than 2 minutes in normal startup without triggering BSOD.
My understanding was it had to be software related.. what do you guys think?

If it can run in Safe Mode without a BSOD this a strong indicator your issue is driver related. Have you updated or installed any software lately? Have you experienced an infection recently? What security software are you running? In addition...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. We offer Manage Attachments and you can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

If it can run in Safe Mode without a BSOD this a strong indicator your issue is driver related. Have you updated or installed any software lately? Have you experienced an infection recently? What security software are you running? In addition...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. We offer Manage Attachments and you can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.
It is a laptop from a friend so I'm not too sure about new software installed but there was an infection I removed with Malwayre Bytes. I've been updating Windows for him that's it. I see TrendMicro Antivirus is installed on his PC. I've attached 5 minidumps. I've came here on several occasions to post minidumps, how could I learn to read them myself? Thank you.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    127.1 KB · Views: 1
Hey Reckoning. Let me answer your last question first. Microsoft makes a special tool to read minidump files called Debugging Tool. If you do a search you'll easily find it. However, in order for this tool to read your files you'll also need the Symbol packages. There are a number of them and they are large in size. It takes a long time to download and install. Trust me. :) If you decide to go ahead but need some advice on how to use it let me know.

Now for your minidump files. One is 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate 0xA errors.

The other four are 0xA and these are caused by either hardware or faulty drivers attempting to access a higher IRQ address than it is designed for thus causing system crashes. Unfortunately all five files only cited a Windows OS driver and the thing about OS drivers is that they point to the fact that there is a problem without (most of the time) telling what the cause is.

The fact that there was an infection and in light of your symptoms and the fact that you can only run it stable in Safe Mode has me a) suspicious that you may still be infected and/or b) the OS has been compromised.

* I want you to do the following: Go here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ download and allow the Active X. This is an excellent scanner and I personally have run NOD32 as my antivirus of choice for 6+ years. Let it run and get back to us with the results.

Hey Reckoning. Let me answer your last question first. Microsoft makes a special tool to read minidump files called Debugging Tool. If you do a search you'll easily find it. However, in order for this tool to read your files you'll also need the Symbol packages. There are a number of them and they are large in size. It takes a long time to download and install. Trust me. :) If you decide to go ahead but need some advice on how to use it let me know.

Now for your minidump files. One is 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate 0xA errors.

The other four are 0xA and these are caused by either hardware or faulty drivers attempting to access a higher IRQ address than it is designed for thus causing system crashes. Unfortunately all five files only cited a Windows OS driver and the thing about OS drivers is that they point to the fact that there is a problem without (most of the time) telling what the cause is.

The fact that there was an infection and in light of your symptoms and the fact that you can only run it stable in Safe Mode has me a) suspicious that you may still be infected and/or b) the OS has been compromised.

* I want you to do the following: Go here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ download and allow the Active X. This is an excellent scanner and I personally have run NOD32 as my antivirus of choice for 6+ years. Let it run and get back to us with the results.
Ok I will try that scanner. Is NOD32 a free antivirus or only free for a trial run? Thank you for your help so far!

Ran the scanner, it found and removed 9 entries! Malwayre Bytes isn't as good as everyone thinks maybe? Has always seemed to work like a charm for me.

Wow! Is it running stable in normal mode now? MalwareBytes is a very good anti-malware but you still need a good antivirus. Uninstall TrendMicro (see if they have a special removal tool on their website) and try the free version of the Avast antivirus or its $ version. Microsoft Essentials would fill the bill or fro some other excellent $ versions there is Kaspersky or ESET Nod32.

I strongly concur with Route44...
You need AV protection along with MBAM. They are both excellent, but different in purpose.
I would recommend a followup trip to the antimalware team, to let them evaluate the system.
At this point obvious infections may be dealt with, but troublesome trojans or other malware may still exist.
Trojans may steal password and banking information, etc, as well as allow Remote Control of your computer.
Bobbye and Broni are excellent at helping you finish the work you have begun!

Back